I love it when you talk that way, Rafal!   J

Mark

From: rafal kedzierski [mailto:rafal...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:20 PM
To: texas cavers tc
Subject: [Texascavers] WNS syndrome news dissection

Delving further into the PNAS article claiming that N. American and
European WNS is the same.

Just because American bats infected with N. American and European fungus
showed similar symptoms does not mean that these are the exact same
Geomyces destructans, which I think the article was implying. I think
the importance may be for proving the Kochs postulates of Geomyces
destructans in white nose syndrome (implying that fungus is causative of
the disease). There is this amazing thing called 'molecular biology'
that actually lets you look at the genomic structure and determine its
similarity to other pathogens, and trace its genetic drift.

>From Pubmed, there is an article from 2011 that shows clonal genotype of
US isolates is similar, imlpying clonal dispersion of fungus in North
America (Emerg Infect Dis, 2011, July 17(7): 1273-6). However, I'm not
aware of any papers showing molecular match between N. American or
European Geomyces destructans.

Rafal Kedzierski