From: Geary Schindel
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:07 PM
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] How long is Punkin Cave?

You bring up an excellent point regarding damage to a cave and one which has
often bothered me.  For example, I helped remap parts of Turner Avenue in the
Flint Ridge portion of Mammoth Cave, Kentucky in the late 1980's.  This was an
almost pristine and incredible trunk passage discovered in the late 50's or
early 60's.  The passage is mostly 10 feet high and 20-30 foot wide, sand
covered passage, that runs for thousands of feet.  The original explorers left
a very narrow trail in the very fine sediments in this passage.  However, folks
considered the survey in the 60's not up to the standard in the 80's so the
passage was resurveyed.  (Turner Avenue is well described in the book The
Longest Cave by Roger Brucker.) The trip leader for the resurvey wanted the
distance to the walls physically measured at each station.  This required
walking out across the undisturbed sediments which I wouldn't do.  However,
there were others on the trip that were willing to do this.  I tried to reason
with them but they were on a mission to survey the cave and were not going to
be stopped, come damage to the sediments or formations or not (common sense did
not prevail).  Now, I could estimate the distance from the survey station to
the walls probably with an accuracy of a few feet.  Using the scale at which
the cave map was to be drawn, this uncertainty was the width of the pen used to
draw the map.  We forever disturbed these sediments and in my opinion, greatly
distracted from the aesthetics of the cave.  In addition, sediments (wall
crusts, etc) have just as much geologic and aesthetic value and importance as
cave formations. Now there are laser range finders that can very accurately
measure that distance without damaging the sediment.

This weekend, on a survey trip here in Texas, there were four or five survey
teams in the cave.  The cave has an established trail from the entrance to one
of the major junctions in the cave.  Over the last 5 plus years, great pains
have been taken to keep new cavers on what I call the trade route to minimize
damage to formations and crusts.  Probably close to 500 people have visited
this section of the cave with very minimal damage and disturbance. However,
some of the survey teams had no problems with getting off the well established
trail and climbing over formations rather than using the trade route on the way
to their survey objectives. I don't think the trip leaders were trying to
damage the cave, they just weren't properly educated in Leave No Trace ethics
and on the proper conservation ethics and practices for the cave.

Last Friday, I was doing a site evaluation of a ranch when we crawled into a
small cave entrance with the ranch owner's son.  After about 100 meters of
crawling, we popped up into a fine truck passage and carefully walked down
about 500 meters of very well decorated virgin cave.  We stopped in passage 20
feet high and 10 feet wide with a large white formation across the passage.  I
convinced the owner's son to wait until we can come back with some clean
clothes and equipment so we don't soil the formation. (we'll see if that
happens).

So, while we complain about non-cavers doing damage to caves, organized cavers
can have just as big or bigger impact.  Before we start casting stones, I've
broken my fair share of formations and disturbed my fair share of sediments and
then some.  Maybe old age and wisdom are starting to get the upper hand on my
youth and enthusiasm (about time).

Geary