texascavers Digest 9 Feb 2012 16:54:03 -0000 Issue 1492

Topics (messages 19505 through 19514):

Body Of Kevin Eve Found
        19505 by: Don Cooper

Laos and Vietnam
        19506 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net
        19507 by: \"Squirrel\" Jess

O-9 Well trip report - February 4, 2012
        19508 by: David Ochel
        19509 by: Logan McNatt
        19511 by: DON ARBURN
        19512 by: germanyj.aol.com

Hang Son Doong
        19510 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

European Cave Spiders Produce Super-Stretchy Silk
        19513 by: Bob West

Job posting for Senior Environmental Protection Officer - San Antonio, Texas
        19514 by: Geary Schindel

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Self Inflicted gun shot wound, deep in Breathing Hole Cave.
Cave had been closed off, but students who found the body were not charged.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/16694850/coroners-office-cave-explorer-died-of-self-inflicted-gunshot-wound

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

I have corrected (edited) and added information I posted on Cave Chat about our
Laos and Vietnam Karst Reconnaissance trip last fall.   One of the most
important things was to properly acknowledge Terry Bolger and Phaythoune
Somphilavong (Noi).   Terry and Noi met us with a four-wheel drive truck which
gave us access to the Laotian cave country. Noi's ability to converse with the
local population cut through otherwise impenetrable confusion and provided a
wonderful bridge to Lao customs. I am enormously grateful to them both for
being able to spend the time with us.

I have also added images.

http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13148

We are returning with a group October 21 - November 9, 2012 (dates close, but
still approximate).   If you might be interested in joining us, go to
http://www.focusedtours.com/seasiaitinerary.html

for a tentative itinerary.

DirtDoc

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I didn't see hang son doong on the list.

Reconnaissance<http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13148#p113175>
trip
last fall.  One of the most important things was to properly acknowledge Terry
Bolger and Phaythoune Somphilavong (Noi).  Terry and Noi met us with a
four-wheel drive truck which gave us access to the Laotian cave country.
Noi's ability to converse with the local population cut through otherwise
impenetrable confusion and provided a wonderful bridge to Lao customs. I am
enormously grateful to them both for being able to spend the time with us.

**** **

I have also added images.

** **

*http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13148*

**

We are returning with a group October 21 - November 9, 2012 (dates close,
but still approximate).  If you might be interested in joining us, go to *
http://www.focusedtours.com/seasiaitinerary.html*

for a tentative itinerary.

** **

DirtDoc

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This was a trip to continue the re-survey of the upstream passage of O-9
Well.

Out of 10 cavers originally signed up for the trip, 6 actually made it
to the cave (the others canceling for various reasons): Andrea Croskrey,
David Ochel, Sandi Calhoun, and Sean Lewis arrived from Austin about
half an hour before midnight, and Aubri Jenson and Lydia Hernandez an
hour later. While the actual outside temperatures weren't that cold that
weekend, it was very windy at night and in the mornings.

Two survey teams went into the cave Saturday, all entering by noon.
David (sketcher), Lydia, and Sandi set out to make it to the upstream
end of the cave and survey back towards the entrance. Rather, they ran
into a junction about half-way into the cave.  One passage continued
without any survey stations visible, various types of (flagged or
written in mud) station markers had been present on and off before that.
 The other passage soon became very tight and had survey markers with
station names that were not on the line plot of the 90's survey that the
surveyors had brought along. It was decided to start surveying the
unmarked passage from the junction on towards the end of the cave, and
to tie into the unknown survey markers. Up to that point, no
water-filled passage had been passed, and those wearing wet suits felt
pretty warm while moving swiftly through the cave. The team surveyed for
about 5 hours in muddy, stoop-walking and hands-and-knees-crawl passage,
until reaching stream passage with water about knee-deep. The survey was
ended here, and the onward passage explored for a few minutes before
returning to the entrance - water continues to be present (up to the
terminal sump, maybe??). Continuation of the survey requires wet suits,
laying in the water frequently will likely be required. 164 meters were
surveyed.

The other team continued surveying upstream from where Bev Shade�s
survey team had concluded on a previous trip. Aubri sketched, getting
tips from Sean, and Andrea set point. They surveyed for about six hours,
which yielded another 164 meters. Both teams happened to meet a little
after 7 pm at the bottom of the entrance pit.  Andrea, Aubri, David, and
Sean went on a downstream tourist trip for about 2 hours while Lydia and
Sandi decided to exit the cave. The downstream trip, even more so than
just being close to the entrance pit, involved battling the intensifying
odors of what smelt like a decomposing skunk just downstream of the
entrance shaft. David de-rigged the cave on the way out, and everyone
was out sometime between 9 and 10 pm.  After another windy night
camping, everybody started their way homeward around 9 am on Sunday.

--
David Ochel, mailto:d...@ochel.net

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Now that's caving, Texas style! Thanks to David for the trip report and to everyone else on the trip. I've never been to 0-9 Well, but one of my most favorite photos of what Texas caving was like appeared on the cover of The Texas Caver in November 1976. It was taken by James Reddell in 1962 from the top of the 0-9 windmill, and shows A. Richard's Smith 1953 Plymouth parked by a fence gate, with the fence and a power line stretching as far as the eye can see across the west Texas desert until they meet on the horizon. If you're fortunate enough to have a copy of the book 50 Years of Texas Caving, the photo is on page 58. Logan

On 2/7/2012 9:20 PM, David Ochel wrote:
[...]

Most excellent!! Thanks!

Sent cellularly.
-Don

On Feb 7, 2012, at 10:28 PM, Logan McNatt <lmcn...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The other team continued surveying upstream from where Bev Shade’s
>> survey team had concluded on a previous trip. Aubri sketched, getting
>> tips from Sean, and Andrea set point. They surveyed for about six hours,
>> which yielded another 164 meters. Both teams happened to meet a little
>> after 7 pm at the bottom of the entrance pit.  Andrea, Aubri, David, and
>> Sean went on a downstream tourist trip for about 2 hours while Lydia and
>> Sandi decided to exit the cave. The downstream trip, even more so than
>> just being close to the entrance pit, involved battling the intensifying
>> odors of what smelt like a decomposing skunk just downstream of the
>> entrance shaft. David de-rigged the cave on the way out, and everyone
>> was out sometime between 9 and 10 pm.  After another windy night
>> camping, everybody started their way homeward around 9 am on Sunday.

 Outstanding!

Be sure to check out David's FaceBook pics from the trip.  They had a slogging
good time!

julia