For any of you who are really interested in the Mayan calendar, the best book I've ever read on the subject is Maya Cosmogenisis 2012 by John Major Jenkins. Jenkins is an Archeo astronomer, not some new age channeler. He lays out the history of the Maya and how they calculated and recalculated the calendar to make it one of the most accurate. It's a very dense book but a great read especially for those of you who go caving in Central America regularly and want to have a deeper appreciation of the Maya culture.

Mike Burrell
On May 23, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Brian Riordan wrote:

The current Gregorian calendar ends December 31st 2011... But we'll just print a new one for 2012. I presume the Aztecs got tired of carving new stone calendars every solar cycle, so they made an arbitrarily long one.

I think historians could argue that the 'end times' came for the Aztecs long before 2012...

-B

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM, John.Schneider <jsschneid...@smithsys.net > wrote: I believe you are right that it is the Mayan calendar that ends Dec 21, 2012. It DOES NOT however predict the "end of the world", but simply the end of a time or era. That calendar has 13,000 year cycle or times and the above date is simply the end of the most recent era. Since this was either cycle 4 or 5 there is nothing in the calendar that excludes that 22 Dec 2012 is just being the beginning of a new era.

John
----- Original Message -----
From: Rod Goke
To: Texas Cavers
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:34 PM
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] A warning from the future

I'm not very familiar with the Aztec calendar, but if it ever contained an "end of the world" prediction, it probably had to be revised to record that happening August 13, 1521 (from their viewpoint, anyway, since that's when their capital, Tenochtitlan, finally fell to Cortes). I believe that it is the Mayan calendar that many people claim will end December 21, 2012, leading some to interpret this as a predicted "end of the world" date. Now, however, some people are claiming that this interpretation of the Mayan calendar is off by several weeks and that the real "end of the world" date will be November 6, 2012.
. . .
(election day)  ;-)

Rod