texascavers Digest 30 May 2011 23:16:04 -0000 Issue 1324

Topics (messages 17932 through 17944):

Speleomusic competition: UIS Anthem
        17932 by: George Veni
        17933 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        17934 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

Bat flight on the Rio Grande
        17935 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        17936 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        17937 by: Don Cooper
        17938 by: Joe Ranzau
        17939 by: Bill Bentley
        17940 by: Don Arburn

old railroad tunnels on the Rio Grande
        17941 by: Logan McNatt
        17942 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

from CNN - Crews work to rescue injured man from Tennessee cave
        17943 by: Robert B

Deep cave rescue happening now in eastern Tennessee multi-drop cave
        17944 by: Speleosteele.aol.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Dear Speleo-Musicians, Artists, and Friends,

The Arts and Letters Commission of the International Union of Speleology
(UIS) is organizing a competition to create an anthem for the UIS. The
details are below. Please forward this message to anyone or any list you
believe may be interested. For more information, contact Ian Ellis Chandler
below.

George Veni

UIS Vice-President of Administration

************************

UIS ANTHEM: Conditions of competition

1.      Entries to be between 60 to 90 seconds in length
2.      All entries must be provided digitally to the UIS Bureau through the
UIS Arts and Letters Commission (Ian Ellis Chandler).
3.      Entries to be received by Arts and Letters Commission by end
January, 2012. They will be considered by the Bureau summer meeting 2012.
The Bureau retains the option not to select any entry as suitable.
4.      The digital entry will not include lyrics. Lyrics can be attached,
and a digital audio version can be presented. Lyrics can be in any of the
following languages of the UIS: English, French, German, Italian, Russian or
Spanish.
5.      Entries must be original and not based on any existing music.
6.      Entries should be universal and not in a style generally associated
with any country.
7.      The style should capable of appealing for many years and not based
on any particular modern style.
8.      Entries should try to capture the spirit of speleology.

The winning entry (if one is selected) will be revealed at the Opening
Ceremony of the 2013 ICS in Brno, Czech Republic, as the UIS flag is
hoisted.

There is no financial award, except the honour of composing the UIS anthem.

Initial contact to:

            Ian Ellis Chandler.

            UIS Arts and Letters Commission

            artca...@yahoo.es

            Telephone: 0034 942619903 (Spain)

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919

Fax: 413-383-2276

gv...@nckri.org

www.nckri.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Like EUROVISION?

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXouSYabDig

May 28, 2011 04:09:48 PM, gv...@warpdriveonline.com wrote:

[...]

--- Begin Message --- Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivASIwtHALM

May 29, 2011 05:51:42 AM, tbsam...@verizon.net wrote:
[...]

--- Begin Message --- >From Eldon & Kerza Prewitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PigX7vFAo&feature=youtu.be

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Ben Dwyer took this..

Eldon & Kerza work with this organization..  some of you know them. I used to work with Kerza at BEG.

May 29, 2011 11:39:14 AM, tbsam...@verizon.net wrote:
>From Eldon & Kerza Prewitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PigX7vFAo&feature=youtu.be

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
That is a tunnel they are emerging from?
I wish I knew where this was, exactly.

-WaV

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM, <tbsam...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  From Eldon & Kerza Prewitt.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PigX7vFAo&feature=youtu.be

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Somewhere west of Pumpville!

Joe

On May 29, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Don Cooper <wavyca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is a tunnel they are emerging from?
> I wish I knew where this was, exactly.
>
> -WaV
>
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM, <tbsam...@verizon.net> wrote:
> From Eldon & Kerza Prewitt.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PigX7vFAo&feature=youtu.be

I was just in that area ...or close to it...  within 20 miles of it...
    That is a tunnel they are emerging from?
    I wish I knew where this was, exactly.

    -WaV

    On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM, <tbsam...@verizon.net> wrote:

      From Eldon & Kerza Prewitt.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PigX7vFAo&feature=youtu.be

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I know exactly where this is. It's about a half mile south of the Pecos on the
Rio Grande. This is the old railroad tunnel. I've actually been in it in a Park
Service boat in the late eighties. About four years ago I visited it again,
however there was a floating cattail mat and brush choking the northern
entrance.

Don's iPhone.

On May 29, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Don Cooper <wavyca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is a tunnel they are emerging from?
> I wish I knew where this was, exactly.
>
> -WaV
>
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM, <tbsam...@verizon.net> wrote:
> From Eldon & Kerza Prewitt.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PigX7vFAo&feature=youtu.be

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Don et al.,

Here are some links about the tunnel(s):

http://www.nps.gov/amis/historyculture/tunnelstation.htm

http://www.ohranger.com/amistad/history

This one has a photo of one of the tunnels, partially submerged:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19369790@N02/3481220482/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- As a kid (1954-1960), I lived south of Uvalde. I recall going to Del Rio once with my folks and seeing panoramic shots of the old Pecos Railroad High Bridge. Anyone know if these photos are still around?

May 29, 2011 11:50:41 PM, lmcn...@austin.rr.com wrote:
Don et al.,

Here are some links about the tunnel(s):

http://www.nps.gov/amis/historyculture/tunnelstation.htm

http://www.ohranger.com/amistad/history

This one has a photo of one of the tunnels, partially submerged:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19369790@N02/3481220482/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
from CNN - Crews work to rescue injured man from Tennessee cave

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/30/tennessee.cave.rescue/index.html?hpt=T2

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
There's a big cave rescue going on in eastern  Tennessee right now. I know
the victim - Dirk Siron. It's Sinking Cove Cave.  Forty rescuers are in the
cave.What I've been told is that Dirk was  doing a pull down rappel and got
on the wrong rope, falling off the end of it.  It appears he's got at least
a broken pelvis. A friend of mine is on the  scene and texting me. He's at
the bottom of the second drop now, and the  estimate is they'll have him out
in three more hours.

--- End Message ---