It has been suggested that the accident happened because they had rigged the pull-down with a stopper knot and the guy rigged into the wrong side of the knot. In that case it wouldn't have mattered whether or not there was a knot at the end of the short side (if there was a short side), because his weight would have pulled down the rope, same as if he rigged onto the wrong side if it were tried off at the bottom on one side. Only if he rappelled with both ropes in his rack would that not be an issue, but you can't do that with a Micro Rack or a bobbin.

Mark Minton