texascavers Digest 18 Mar 2011 16:22:43 -0000 Issue 1269

Topics (messages 17393 through 17400):

Japan earthquake displaced water in Edwards Aquifer
        17393 by: Joe Ranzau

Re: Off Topic - Where's the REAL OT List?
        17394 by: Rod Goke
        17395 by: Sheryl Rieck
        17396 by: Don Arburn
        17398 by: Fritz Holt

TSA Convention Speaker Announcement
        17397 by: Mallory Mayeux
        17399 by: Mark Alman

headquarters commission report
        17400 by: Mixon Bill

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
The water level of Texas' Edwards Aquifer was displaced about a foot
Friday after energy released from a massive earthquake near Japan put
the squeeze on the underground rock formation that supplies drinking
water for much of Central Texas.

The 9.0-magnitude quake caused its walls to contract and expand,
officials with the Edwards Aquifer Authority said Wednesday. A monitor
in a Bexar County well that continuously records the aquifer's water
level noted the oscillations, which lasted about two hours from late
Thursday to early Friday morning, said Geary Schindel , the
authority's chief technical officer. The force from the quake took
about 15 minutes to reach the aquifer, he said.

"When a wave from an earthquake passes, it slightly compresses and
dilates the aquifer, and the water will shoot up and down," Schindel
said. "Any time we see a major earthquake, it's commonly recorded in
that well. They act as seismographs."

The oscillations during high-energy earthquakes are common in artesian
aquifers, or confined aquifers, where the water is pressurized,
including the Edwards Aquifer, Schindel said. "We saw Haiti, we saw
Sumatra, Japan, a couple in Mexico and Alaska," he said of recent
earthquakes.

The well, named J-17 , has been monitoring the aquifer's water level
in Bexar County since the 1950s, Schindel said. A float that rests on
the water surface hundreds of feet underground is connected to a wire
and a wheel that records the level on pen and paper, he said. Water
restrictions are tied to readings, Schindel said.

The sprawling aquifer cuts underground through Central Texas and
provides drinking water for about 1.7 million people, including most
of San Antonio, said Roland Ruiz, spokesman for the regulatory agency
that manages and protects the aquifer's San Antonio segment.

ddoolit...@statesman.com; 445-3671

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/japan-earthquake-displaced-water-in-edwards-aquifer-1326387.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

It seems to me that attitudes towards the "OT List" on Texascavers have been something like the following:

    We tried setting up an OT List, but nobody uses it.

    Perhaps they don't know how to use it.

    No. It's easy. Just read the directions.

    Where can I find the directions?

    Look in the cabinet.

    The cabinet is locked. How can I get in?

    Use the key?

    Where's the key.

    Look next to the needle.

    What needle?

    The one in the haystack.

    Never mind. I don't want to use it after all.

    You see, even you won't use it, so there's no

    point in wasting effort to improve it.

It was nice of Louise to provide the OT address. That's more than anyone else has done lately to make the OT List useable, but it's not a complete answer. What are we supposed to do with that address? How can we receive the OT messages? I bet that we first have to do something to subscribe to the OT List, but exactly how are Texascavers subscribers supposed to do that? Likewise, if you want to send a message to the OT List, how do you do that? Perhaps you simply email it to the OT address, right? Well, if you do that, you get the following "failure notice" from mailer-dae...@gnome.wokka.org:

   Hi. This is the qmail-send program at gnome.wokka.org.

   <o...@texascavers.com>:

   Sorry, only subscribers may post. If you are a subscriber, please forward

   this message to ot-ow...@texascavers.com to get your new address

   included (#5.7.2)

Exploring this kind of digital obstacle course might be tolerable for people really determined to use the service, but for Texascavers subscribers seeking a convenient way to engage in "virtual campfire" chat, it's no wonder that no one bothers to use it.

Rod

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 02:26:13 -0500

From: rod.g...@earthlink.net

To: Texascavers@texascavers.com

R D asked,

"Is it that difficult to post other material in a separate place?"

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult for anyone who has no clue about how to do it, and I suspect that most of the subscribers to Texascavers fall into this category. During the last several years, I've seen a number of messages on this list asking people to take various topics to the mysterious OT list, but I don't think I've ever seen a message explaining how to do that. No wonder nobody (or practically nobody) uses it!

If we want people to make use of a "REAL OT List" then we need to make sure that there is an easy way for people to read it and to post messages there, and we need to publicize the directions enough on Texascavers so that people will actually know how to do it. Also, whenever a new discussion thread begins on the OT list, it would be useful for someone to alert us with a brief message posted to Texascavers. Otherwise, people interested in an OT topic are liable to miss the discussion by not checking the OT list, in which case, writers will be tempted to post everything to the regular Texascavers list, because they think no one is reading the OT list.

Rod