From: mark.al...@l-3com.com [mailto:mark.al...@l-3com.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:47 AM
To: S S; texascavers@texascavers.com
Cc: texascav...@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] Ask Not What You Can Do For The TSA...

Agreed and you're correct that there are a lot of little projects that are
conducted "by one or two people that could be included in a larger project".

This has been one of my biggest and oldest pet peeves, going all the way back
when I was a new member at the DFW Grotto.

These less than well-publicized (read "secret"?) trips to caves that only a
chosen few ever hear about or get invited on.

Surely, there's a way to keep the amount of folks attending to a reasonable
level while still being inclusive to other cavers, new or experienced.

I don't recall ever conducting a project weekend that was not publicized and
the number of folks who attended was always manageable.

If you want only 6 or 8 cavers, say so!

Inclusiveness equals interest, participation, enthusiasm and a healthy
TSA/Grotto.

Cliquishness equals poor/no camaraderie, disinterest, and a loss of members.

The UT Grotto has been very good at getting new cavers underground, primarily
at Whirlpool, which is an excellent beginner cave.

The Longhorn Project, which I am in charge of, was a blast, before and after
ICS and helped get a lot of new cavers underground, primarily from and a big
thanks to the Aggie Grotto!

If you have a "Grotto Only" trip, surely you can advertise it on CaveTex and
allow a few more other cavers from cave poor areas of the state (read "DFW") to
attend.

If you want to limit the size, say so, but, Publicize, Publicize, Publicize!

Mark