Kinda sounds like the pot calling the kettle black, Phil.  ;>)

Jerry.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Winkler via Texascavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>
To: texascavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Thu, Aug 14, 2014 9:10 pm
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] book review: Fern Cave

Gees, Bill,

If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Jenn's book is a superb summary of the discovery and exploration of one of our
greatest caves. Her writing is passionate and on topic, factual and timely. She
brings everything up to date from Donal Myrick's classic publication from the
early 70s.

I've been in the cave dozens of times from the early 70s thru the 80s until
even
2000 with JV. It is a major cave with so much diversity with formations,
passage, pits and complexity, not to mention the huge colonies of grey bats in
the Morgue section.

Phil
On Aug 14, 2014, at 10:41 PM, Mixon Bill via Texascavers wrote:

> Fern Cave: The Discovery, Exploration, and History of Alabama's  Greatest
Cave. Jennifer Ellen Pinkley. Blue Bat Books, 2014. ISBN  978-0-9903547-0-3.
6.5
by 8.5 inches, 371 pages. Softbound $25, $10  for Kindle or Nook e-book from
www.bluebatbooks.com.
> When I visited Fern Cave, it consisted of a short stream passage and
> Surprise
Pit. By that time, the route to the new rigging point, which  provided a dry
404-foot rappel, had been Toroded to the point that the  step across the
four-hundred-foot-deep gap in the ledge was only  moderately scary. Nearby, New
Fern was discovered and explored through  several entrances. It was finally
connected to Fern Cave, and the  whole took over the name. So I'll have to call
the original cave old  Fern, I guess.
> Fern Cave is more than fifteen miles long and is essentially a  vertical
> maze,
with many levels connected by numerous drops. The part  of the cave in the
vicinity of the Morgue Entrance contains the  largest hibernaculum of gray
bats,
which have been declared endangered  by the feds. So most of the entrances to
the cave were purchased by  the Fish and Wildlife Service as a detached part of
the nearby Wheeler  National Wildlife Refuge. The owner of old Fern was not
interesting in  selling, and the connections between it and the rest of the
cave
are  obscure or dangerous, so the FWS didn't pursue the matter. Relations
between the Huntsville Grotto and the FWS were good, and the grotto  was
allowed
to manage the FWS parts of Fern, provided that no caving  was done in the
gray-bat section during the hibernating season. The  grotto established a
permit
system, and exploration and mapping  continued. Old Fern and Surprise Pit
continued to be open without red  tape, and eventually they were purchased by
the Southeast Cave  Conservancy.
> Then white-nose syndrome appeared, and the Fish and Wildlife Service
> declared
that all caving should stop in states where it occurred and  all adjacent
states. Naturally this was ridiculed and widely ignored,  but caves owned by
the
US Forest Service or the FWS and other parts of  the Department of the Interior
were declared closed, and the agreement  with the Huntsville Grotto to manage
Fern Cave ended. Even the  Southeast Cave Conservancy jerked its knee, and old
Fern was closed,  although it has since reopened. When some research access by
cavers to  Fern Cave was allowed years later, it was found that, in the absence

of the grotto's management and the monitoring that it allowed, some  vandalism
had occurred in Fern despite the official closure. (None of  the entrances to
the cave have been gated.) White-nose syndrome has  affected tri-colored bats
in
New Fern, and sensitive tests have  detected its DNA in swabs from hibernating
gray bats, but so far they  seem unharmed.
> Pinkley's book is a very nice, reasonably priced summary of the  history of
the cave from the original discovery and descent of old  Fern through today.
There are numerous black-and-white photos, many of  considerable historical
interest. I initially found reading the book a  bit tedious, but that turned
out
to be just because the prose would  probably be recommended for middle-school
students by those computer  programs that rate the difficulty of a text. I got
used to it, and  certainly I can't claim the book is difficult to understand.
Embedded  are personal accounts of some of the author's own involvement in the
cave. She is very bitter about the FWS's turning on the cavers that  had done
so
much to help them before WNS appeared, but actually they  had no choice but to
march to the drums in DC. The limited vandalism,  mainly spray-painted arrows
and scratched names, that occurred during  the time the cave was effectively
unmanaged, if officially closed,  distresses her greatly, although I'd say it
wasn't that big a deal for  a fifteen-mile cave. It is a lesson, though, that
managing an open  cave, even if not foolproof, can be better than an
ineffective
closure.
> Bill Torode's map of Fern Cave has never been published, and since it  is
wall-sized it probably couldn't be. A remapping project has  surveyed around
half of the known cave. The only maps in the book are  a couple of very local
examples of the detail in the new survey. Some  simple line plots might have
clarified parts of the narrative of  exploration, or they might not, given the
complexity of Fern Cave.— Bill Mixon