Just to throw my two cents in:  I recently completed a long and arduous move
during which I discovered that I have more belongings than any sane person
should have (which should say something about my current state). The bulk of
those belongings, I discovered, were several forests worth of trees in the form
of a small-medium sized library; old newsletters; classic comix from the
Gilbert Shelton, Jaxon era (KEEPERS); I think if I looked long enough I could
probably find an old Charlie Loving poster or two (also keepers); magazines;
family correspondence (can't get rid of that); newspaper articles (many of
which I saved because they were my own work); various bureau publications which
I either wrote and/or edited; and a lot more. But I tell you, after this move,
I think it's a good thing we're recyclers here in Oregon because I have pretty
much fallen out of love with the idea of paper dox.
I belong to several organizations many of which now produce the bulk of their
publications on line. If I want to save anything, I just download it to my hard
drive and, after awhile, if I still find it valuable, onto a CD (or whatever
comes after that). With a few exceptions, I now have no qualms about scanning
much of what I have that is worth saving and putting it into an electronic
file. Having worked on my family history for almost 20 years now, I'm glad my
ancestors did not feel this way, but then, in the mid-1800s, they had no
choice. I have a choice.
I live in the Northwest home of a huge timber industry. For 32 years I have
worked for a federal agency that manages forest land (among other uses) and we
are under a constant barrage of lawsuits by both industry and conservationists
to produce or not produce timber for a variety of uses. I've lived in this area
for more than 20 years and seen both sides of the discussion.
Recently I have come to the conclusion that if we have a practical,
inexpensive, good quality choice, perhaps we ought to seriously consider taking
it.
I now step down from my soap box,
Louise