The NSS News is _the_ tangible benefit that most NSS members get. If I stopped getting it on paper, I might just drop my membership, if I wasn't in the ~ 10 percent of members who attend the convention and get a registration discount equal to dues (and if I wasn't a life member). Has the overhead in the society's budget (mainly the office) decreased as the membership has dropped? The society has just appeased its edifice complex by buying a big new "headquarters." While the cost of the property will no doubt be paid for by donations for the purpose, I suspect that overhead will increase when it ought to be decreasing. Work expands to fill the space available.

Cutting the most visible member service is not the way to grow the membership. I think board members are, perhaps naturally, prone to overestimate how interested most members of the NSS are in intangible services such as promoting cave conservation and, to a minor extent, cave science. That so few regular members have opted to continue to get the journal on paper is not an indication of interest in a paper News. The journal is (too) specialized, and anyway, the membership renewal form on the web _still_, almost two years after the change to make the paper journal optional at extra cost, has no notice of that and no way to pay that cost. (Talk about spectacular administrative incompetence!) -- Mixon
Don't be led astray into the paths of virtue.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org