texascavers Digest 21 Mar 2013 18:46:23 -0000 Issue 1726

Topics (messages 21477 through 21490):

Re: NSS News
        21477 by: Mimi Jasek
        21484 by: Geary Schindel

Re: BOG proposal to end printed NSS News
        21478 by: Louise Power
        21480 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        21482 by: Mark Minton

Re: Thank you.
        21479 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

NSS membership
        21481 by: Gill Edigar
        21489 by: Gill Edigar

Archived NSS News in PDF
        21483 by: Phil Winkler
        21486 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

Re: water-damaged TCs and NSS News
        21485 by: Logan McNatt
        21487 by: Butch Fralia

Re: Estimate of stalactite growth (Merkel et al. 2008)
        21488 by: Mark Minton

Report just in from British expedition to Sistema Huautla
        21490 by: Speleosteele.aol.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Gosh, Bill, I said almost the exact same thing in the letter I sent to the BOG
an hour or so ago. Just did not post it. For us, though, we do not go to
conventions outside of Texas for many reasons, and have never gotten life
memberships. So the NSS News is our only tangible benefit!

Jim thinks if they need to save on printing something, let them quit printing
the members manual and make it on line only. Done properly, it could be an
amazing, digital tool for finding and contacting cavers all over.

Mimi Jasek

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 19, 2013, at 11:06 PM, Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> The NSS News is _the_ tangible benefit that most NSS members get. If I
> stopped getting it on paper, I might just drop my membership, if I wasn't in
> the ~ 10 percent of members who attend the convention and get a registration
> discount equal to dues (and if I wasn't a life member). Has the overhead in
> the society's budget (mainly the office) decreased as the membership has
> dropped? The society has just appeased its edifice complex by buying a big
> new "headquarters." While the cost of the property will no doubt be paid for
> by donations for the purpose, I suspect that overhead will increase when it
> ought to be decreasing. Work expands to fill the space available.
>
> Cutting the most visible member service is not the way to grow the
> membership. I think board members are, perhaps naturally, prone to
> overestimate how interested most members of the NSS are in intangible
> services such as promoting cave conservation and, to a minor extent, cave
> science. That so few regular members have opted to continue to get the
> journal on paper is not an indication of interest in a paper News. The
> journal is (too) specialized, and anyway, the membership renewal form on the
> web _still_, almost two years after the change to make the paper journal
> optional at extra cost, has no notice of that and no way to pay that cost.
> (Talk about spectacular administrative incompetence!) -- Mixon
> Don't be led astray into the paths of virtue.
> You may "reply" to the address this message
> came from, but for long-term use, save:
> Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
> AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Folks,

I'm sure that most of you have read the posts on the various caver forums by
now and I appreciate seeing everyone's comments.  The NSS has a  significant
budget short fall, as Wm said, and we've been cutting costs in all places. The
shortfall is related to a decrease in membership over the last 5 years. I
believe this is a result of a number of factors - long term member deaths,
changing interests, a down turn in the economy, lack of access to caves because
of White Nose which decreases recruitment, cost of membership, competing
interests among potential new members, etc. In addition, we've also been
getting questions about providing the NSS News in electronic format as some
folks prefer to receive their material over the internet. You can see this
trend in a decline in home delivery of newspapers and magazines and an increase
in on line subscriptions.

I think what we're talking about here is offering a choice among members, you
can get the NSS NEWS electronically for a reduced price which may help attract
members or if you're a luddite like me, you can pay a different rate and
receive a hard copy by mail. Either way, the electronic version will be
available to all members. I think choice is good and helps keep everyone happy.
In addition, the electronic issues allow some benefits that you can't put into
print such as interactive maps, more color photos, etc.

How do we improve our bottom line.

Membership recruitment and retention is incredibly important. I noted that most
of the Bexar Grotto are NSS members when I asked for a show of hands the other
day. The grotto also has a program to award a membership to a new caver every
year. The Bexar Grotto has also purchased relevant books from the NSS and
donated them to the local library system. This provides an educational resource
for the public and provides some free information on the local grotto (and some
cash flow to the NSS). In addition, the Bexar Grotto is also a member of the
404 club by donating $300 per year to the NSS for the new building. If 404
members donated $25 per month or $300 per year, we would cover the mortgage on
the new building and additional funds could be used for improvements or member
benefits (and you get a cool shirt which the grotto raffled off and we used
that money to buy a brick at the new facility with our grotto name engraved).
These are just a few of the ideas used to help support the society.

Some facts on the new building

The new building is only a few miles from the current office building and is a
great facility for an organization such as the NSS. It will be able to house
our full library collection in a professional manner, have plenty of room for
office staff, book stock, storage of NSS related materials, museum, meeting and
classrooms, etc.  We also got an incredible deal on the property getting it at
rock bottom prices when the real estate market collapsed and at very low
interest rates. It is approximately 80 acres of land and actually contains some
caves. The front half of the property is also a campground. There are meeting
rooms in the building as well as a large auditorium. The 2014 convention will
be held there saving us a lot of money and is a good time for folks to visit.
The campground is also open to members for free camping. The office is being
renovated and after the move, we'll be able to rent out the old office. Note
also that the new building overhead will be paid though rental fees of the
property for various activities such as wedding receptions, various community
events, family reunions, and is expected to be a revenue generator for the
society in the near future as the facility is updated and better advertised.

For those of you that have been to the old office, it is what I call a blivit,
that is 10 lbs of stuff (insert explicit descriptor here) in a 5lb bag. It is
bulging at the seams, is not housing our collection very well, and makes it
difficult for the staff to work because of space.

If folks would like to hear more about the new office or other issues related
to the NSS, I would offer to try and visit a grotto meeting and present a
program - you'll also get an arm twisting about membership, the 404 club,
donations, etc. Be aware that Texas is a big place and I don't have the time or
money to visit every grotto in the state, but do try and arrange my travel
schedule around grotto meetings.

The NSS is a great organization. I've always been amazed at how much the NSS
gets done, all because of an incredibly committed group of volunteers.

Thanks and please be active in the NSS and call your directorate and let them
know what you think.

Geary Schindel
NSS Administrative Vice Chair
(The AVP responsibilities include Education, Conservation, Conventions, and
Preserves)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Just to throw my two cents in:  I recently completed a long and arduous move
during which I discovered that I have more belongings than any sane person
should have (which should say something about my current state). The bulk of
those belongings, I discovered, were several forests worth of trees in the form
of a small-medium sized library; old newsletters; classic comix from the
Gilbert Shelton, Jaxon era (KEEPERS); I think if I looked long enough I could
probably find an old Charlie Loving poster or two (also keepers); magazines;
family correspondence (can't get rid of that); newspaper articles (many of
which I saved because they were my own work); various bureau publications which
I either wrote and/or edited; and a lot more. But I tell you, after this move,
I think it's a good thing we're recyclers here in Oregon because I have pretty
much fallen out of love with the idea of paper dox.
I belong to several organizations many of which now produce the bulk of their
publications on line. If I want to save anything, I just download it to my hard
drive and, after awhile, if I still find it valuable, onto a CD (or whatever
comes after that). With a few exceptions, I now have no qualms about scanning
much of what I have that is worth saving and putting it into an electronic
file. Having worked on my family history for almost 20 years now, I'm glad my
ancestors did not feel this way, but then, in the mid-1800s, they had no
choice. I have a choice.
I live in the Northwest home of a huge timber industry. For 32 years I have
worked for a federal agency that manages forest land (among other uses) and we
are under a constant barrage of lawsuits by both industry and conservationists
to produce or not produce timber for a variety of uses. I've lived in this area
for more than 20 years and seen both sides of the discussion.
Recently I have come to the conclusion that if we have a practical,
inexpensive, good quality choice, perhaps we ought to seriously consider taking
it.
I now step down from my soap box,
Louise

From: cave...@att.net
To: fr...@frankbinney.com; Texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:25:41 -0500
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] BOG proposal to end printed NSS News

BOG proposal to end printed NSS NewsI think the NSS should pursue the concept
that the TSA and other organizations have.  Give people an option for an online
version or mailed version (or both).  With TSA and some grottos that have tried
that approach, the number of people who’ve preferred the online version vs
printed version and dropped the cost of printing significantly. Some time ago,
I had a water leak that soaked a box of NSS News and TSA Texas Cavers.  They
sort of melted by the time I discovered they were water soaked.  I can’t
recover those copies but could if they were all digitized.  Stuff happens, even
if you have a printed copy, having a digital copy available isnt’ a bad thing.
Butch Fralia  From: Frank Binney [mailto:fr...@frankbinney.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:11 PM
To: Texas Cavers
Subject: [Texascavers] BOG proposal to end printed NSS News FYI to Texas Cavers:
There is apparently a proposal being presented at this Saturday’s NSS Board of
Governor’s meeting to end delivery of the printed NSS News as part of your
regular NSS membership. This news has generated considerable recent comment on
the Western US caving lists, and has caught the NSS Editor by surprise (he
hadn’t be informed of the pending proposal).
For more info, consult an NSS BOG member.
Frank NSS 10816F

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Gawd, let's hope not, Stefan!

The move to a two way membership (cheaper for online TEXAS CAVER. Higher
for mailed version), IMHO, probably saved the TSA and kept it solvent.

The NSS needs to do this. I would have no problem with an online
(cheaper) option.

I read 'em once and then they go on the shelf. I'm not that attached to
printed material.

Mark

(TSA Chairman at the time)