From: Logan McNatt [mailto:lmcn...@austin.rr.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:47 PM
To: Joe & Evelynn Mitchell
Cc: Texas Cavers
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Deep Cave Survey Report

Joe and other Deep Cave survey team members,

Thanks for your very interesting trip report.  What an impressive amount of
survey and discovery!  Two sentences really intrigued me:

"...another lead led down to a large walking corridor passage that
continued."
I assume you, Jill, and Tom didn't push this because you're saving it for
the next survey trip?  If so, admirable self-control!

"Among other leads, they found a passage marked with a smoke inscription of
"5-69", which continued on for an estimated 100 m but has not yet been
surveyed."
Marvin, Gerry, and Ryan had probably run out of time and energy on their 14
hr marathon trip to survey this.  I just checked the Grotto trip reports in
1969 issues of The Texas Caver but didn't see any mention of a Deep Cave
trip in May by the Alamo, San Antonio, or A&I Grottos.
Numerous other grottos were very active during that time as well, and
everyone used carbide lamps.  I'm just curious who was in that passage in
May 1969.

Congratulations to all involved, and I think this trip report should be
published in the next Texas Caver!

Logan

On 10/28/2012 7:21 PM, Joe & Evelynn Mitchell wrote:
> This weekend was the most recent survey trip to TCMA's Deep Cave. A total
of 19 people attended with 16 going underground. The trip was extremely
productive with 328 m surveyed. The cave blew past Punkin Cave, topped the 4
km threshold, and even inched ahead of Spring Creek to become the 10th
longest caves in Texas with a new length of 4145.5 m.

> Don Arburn lead a team with Pam Campbell, Ted Lee, and Joe Schaertl to the
area below the Helictite Room. They surveyed 10 stations for a total of 41.5
m. They first rechecked a couple of previously surveyed pits in the area
finding several leads on one drop called "Mary's Pit". Their main survey
from the south end of the Helictite Room led them down into a new deep-going
route which had a number of unusual formations on the ceiling of shallow
domes. They stopped only 10 m above the depth of the deepest known part of
the cave with several leads and including at least one going deeper still.

> Bennett Lee lead a team with Steve Gutting and Mike Harris back to the KB
survey below the Entrance Room to explore some down-going leads. They
surveyed 12 stations for 44.2 m. The discovered a sizable room they named
"Popcorn Heaven" and the first foot-deep standing pool of water to be found
in the cave.

> Ellie Watson lead a team with Galen Falgout and Wade McDaniel to pick up
the P survey below the West Chasm beyond the Crooked Broomstick Room. They
surveyed 16 stations for 66.3 m. Initially they broke through a constriction
into a new room off of the previous end of the P-survey which continued for
a number of stations until it ended in a flowstone plug. Returning to the P
survey, they followed another lead which turned out to be Dickey's Coral
Crawl from the 1960's map, eventually connecting it up to the main Western
Rift. They then checked several leads near the base of the climb to the
Nutcracker Chimney, finding one tight lead that continued, but ruling out
other options.

> I led a team with Jill Orr and Tom Rogers out to Metropolis at the west
end of the cave. We surveyed 19 station for 74.6 m. We worked on cleaning up
the previously unfinished sketch of Lower Metropolis and then surveyed up
into Upper Metropolis finding a Wall of Leads in one area. After continuing
up and topping out the room, we return to push one of the many leads and
re-discovered "Norm's Room" from the 1965 map of the cave. This room proved
to be large and very well decorated with a Butterscotch Waterfall, giant
Butterscotch Sunday formation, and Twin Totems. A couple of small leads led
in a various directions and another lead led down to a large walking
corridor passage that continued.

> Finally Marvin Miller lead a 14 hr marathon survey with Gerry Geletzke and
Ryan Monjaras to the Miller Time area. They surveyed an outstanding 31
stations for 102.1 m. Their survey uncovered an extensive new section of the
cave that heads to the southwest and eventually looped back under the
Crooked Broomstick Room, but at a much lower level than anything else known
in the area. Among other leads, they found a passage marked with a smoke
inscription of "5-69", which continued on for an estimated 100 m but has not
yet been surveyed.

> Surface support was provided by Jenni Arburn, Evelynn Mitchell, and Kayla
Mitchell who spent the day relaxing in the cool weather, carving pumpkins
and preparing a great dinner of spaghetti, salad and pies for the tired
survey teams to enjoy upon their return.