texascavers Digest 10 Nov 2012 17:42:34 -0000 Issue 1662

Topics (messages 20999 through 21009):

mexico travel
        20999 by: Nico Escamilla

Re: Be careful out there
        21000 by: pstrickland1.austin.rr.com

speleolympics results
        21001 by: Jill Orr

another request for photos
        21002 by: Jill Orr

clarification
        21003 by: Jill Orr

very sad news
        21004 by: vivbone.att.net
        21005 by: Sheryl Rieck

Veteran's Day Appreciation
        21006 by: NSS Announcements

TPWD Announces Intention to Add 461 acres to Government Canyon SNA
        21007 by: R D Milhollin

TCMA-Rolling Oaks Work Day on Saturday, November 10th (San Antonio)
        21008 by: ellie watson

More TCR pics?
        21009 by: Frank Binney

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Good news (or sorta) for those who still travel to Mexico.

My local congressman is trying eliminate or waive the security deposit to
get a vehicle permit for traveling. I recall that being 400 dollars iirc,
but he mentions 650, either way its pretty good news. Lets hope it passes,
keep your fingers crossed

Nico

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The way I understood it, an agreement was made with the arc. people in Oaxaca
city, that the study would be done without moving anything, and everything
would be left,"in sito"  in this hidden room, in this nondescript cave. I
visited the cave in 2002, many years after the study, and everything looked in
place to me.

---- bmorgan...@aol.com wrote:
> [...]
> jumble of sophisticated pots.  A far alcove looked  like a dish drainer,
> dozens of pots stacked atop one another and glistening  with calcite deposits
> indicating that they had been here for a very long  time.  The floor was
> littered with finely worked beads.  The center  of the room had a single
> oblong
> rock oddly alone on the sandy floor.  And  on the rock was a 6 inch
> obsidian blade.  Alongside it was another longer  blade.  A human skull lay
> there
> as well and all about the skull were the  tiny squares of turquoise tile that
> had once decorated it.
>
> He came back  to the fieldhouse, bubbling with excitement, which was
> contagious.  All  plans were set aside the next day and all of us in camp,
> followed him to the  cave.  We explored in amazement, poking into corners and
> exclaiming over  new treasures.  Very few of the caves in this region were so
> amenable to  human access.  Most had entrance drops over 60 feet in depth and
> took  such vast quantities of water in the rainy season that there was rarely
> any  gravel, much less a stash of antiquities.  Despite the suspicions of
> the  locals that we must be after gold or uranium or treasure, this was in
> fact the  first place we had found anything other than rock and water.
>
> For  several days  there was no activity other than admiring Blade Cave as
> it  was promptly named.  Photography, speculation, and solemn agreements all
>  around not to divulge the secret outside of the group.  There was no
> consideration of taking anything.  One of the strongest taboos in caving  is
> taking anything from a cave.  And the taboo is enforced with the tacit
> understanding that anyone who broke it would be kicked out of the group.   It
> was a
> powerful threat.
>
> What happened next was  worse.
>
> Some months after the expedition had returned to the States, we  received a
> formal note from the wife of one of the explorers.  She was an  archaeology
> student and had found the perfect thesis.  Without consulting  any of the
> rest of the group, she and her husband had returned to Mexico, had  gotten in
> touch with the authorities in Oaxaca City, had taken them to the  cave and
> all the material that could be, had been removed from the site.   According
> to the authorities, it was stored in the basement of the government  museum.
>  I'll bet the items hit the black market before the end of the  day and are
> now displayed in the home of a smug collector.  A gate was  constructed in
> the tiny crawlspace to prevent looting - unofficial looting -  of the pots
> that had been cemented in place.
>

> A thesis sits in a library somewhere unread,  surrounded by hundreds of
> similar ones; a collector gratifies his ego; an  official pockets a payoff;
> sacred site undisturbed for centuries, is  ransacked; and a little more
> mystery and wonder vanishes from the  world.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Does anyone have the speleolympic results to send me for the Texas Caver?

Articles? Photos?

Thanks in advance! Jill

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
If anyone has photos of any of the Chuck Stuehm Award winners - I'd love to
have them for the TC

Austin McRee - Greater Houston Grotto

Kris Pena - UT Grotto

William Quast - UT Grotto

Natasha Glasgow - DFW Grotto

Gregg Williams - Bexar Grotto

Rachel Saker - Aggie Speleological Society

Recipients are welcome to send your own  J

Thanks! - jill

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Chuck Stuehm Award winners photo request : photos do not have to be from the
TCR awards announcment. Any nice photo will do.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Many of you already know, but I haven't seen an announcement here on
texascavers yet.

 Tragically, we lost one of our own unexpectedly and suddenly this week. Caver,
Nathan Parker passed away of a heart attack. He was just a fine human being and
will be greatly missed. I'm sure I'm not the only one at the UT Grotto meeting
last night who kept glimpsing him out of the corner of my eye, or hearing his
voice nearby at the Posse.

 Here is the relevant information:
Services for Nathan Parker, PhD, will be held Saturday, November 10th at
Weed-Corley-Fish, located at 2620 South Congress Avenue.

Family will be receiving friends beginning at 10:00 am; service to begin at
11:00.

A private grave-side burial and luncheon will follow. In lieu of flowers,
please make donations in Nathan's name to one of the following charities: Texas
Cave Management Association, (see below) or to the Boy Scouts of America
Capital Area Council (www.bsacac.org).

Please visit Nathan's Facebook page or the online guestbook at
http://www.wcfish.com/ to leave messages for Nathan's family.

Donations to the Texas Cave Management Association (TCMA) should use the
following steps:

1. Go to this website: http://www.tcmacaves.org/financial/

2. In the “Donate To” space, pull down “other” from the menu. This alerts TCMA
that the donation is for a special honor.

3. Fill out the remainder of the donation information.

4. *Important final step* is to email ronra...@tcmacaves.org with the
information that this donation is in honor of Nathan Parker.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
My thoughts are with you all and my sympathy for your loss.

Sheryl Rieck

Sent from my iPhone-Resistance was futile.

On Nov 8, 2012, at 8:35 AM, vivb...@att.net wrote:

> Many of you already know, but I haven't seen an announcement here on
> texascavers yet.
>
> Tragically, we lost one of our own unexpectedly and suddenly this week.
> Caver, Nathan Parker passed away of a heart attack. He was just a fine human
> being and will be greatly missed. I'm sure I'm not the only one at the UT
> Grotto meeting last night who kept glimpsing him out of the corner of my eye,
> or hearing his voice nearby at the Posse.
>
> Here is the relevant information:
> Services for Nathan Parker, PhD, will be held Saturday, November 10th at
> Weed-Corley-Fish, located at 2620 South Congress Avenue.
>
> Family will be receiving friends beginning at 10:00 am; service to begin at
> 11:00.
>
> A private grave-side burial and luncheon will follow. In lieu of flowers,
> please make donations in Nathan's name to one of the following charities:
> Texas Cave Management Association, (see below) or to the Boy Scouts of
> America Capital Area Council (www.bsacac.org).
>
> Please visit Nathan's Facebook page or the online guestbook at
> http://www.wcfish.com/ to leave messages for Nathan's family.
>
> Donations to the Texas Cave Management Association (TCMA) should use the
> following steps:
>
> 1. Go to this website: http://www.tcmacaves.org/financial/
>
> 2. In the “Donate To” space, pull down “other” from the menu. This alerts
> TCMA that the donation is for a special honor.
>
> 3. Fill out the remainder of the donation information.
>
> 4. *Important final step* is to email ronra...@tcmacaves.org with the
> information that this donation is in honor of Nathan Parker.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The members of the NSS Social Media team are planning to put together a special post for Veterans Day.

If you are a member of the NSS and a Veteran or active-duty member of the Armed Services, please send us a photograph of yourself in uniform by Saturday, 11/10 at 9 PM EST. We will also accept photographs from deceased NSS members who served in the Armed Services if you have them.

Email your photo to n...@caves.org with the subject: Veterans Day

Thank you!

-Dean

Dean Wiseman
NSS#32690 RL, Director
Chairman, NSS PR Division

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Great move by the State of Texas PWC. Thanks to all Texas cavers involved
behind the scenes in this project.

http://tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20121108a

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Cavers,

Here is a reminder that the Texas Cave Management Association (TCMA) will
be having a work day this weekend, Saturday, November 10th at the the
Rolling Oaks Cave Preserve in Northwestern San Antonio to dig on Niche
Cave. (Not to be confused with the Rolling Oaks in Wimberly.)

Volunteers are needed to dig debris and old ranch trash out of the entrance
of Niche Cave. We need people, buckets, and cave-digging tools.  Bring your
own gloves, drinks, and snacks for the work.  TCMA will provide bottled
water.

I will be on-site if anyone wishes to enter the other caves on the preserve
(Chimney Cricket Cave, Obvious Little Cave, and World Newt Cave)  after the
dig.  Bring your own cave gear.

The cave preserve is located at 224 Laurel Ridge Lane, San Antonio, TX
78253.  All visitors to the Preserve will be asked to sign a liability
waiver.  Look for cavers and park along the street. Meet at 10:00 am.We
should be finished with the work by 2pm or so.

Please contact me off-list with additional questions. There is no need to
RSVP if you are attending.  Just show up!  If it is raining the clean-up
will be canceled and rescheduled for a later date.

Thanks for your support of TCMA and cave management.

Ellie Watson
TCMA Rolling Oaks Preserve Manager
509-899-0007

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Is it possible to see too many poorly edited photos of exuberant young
cavers, vaguely familiar-looking oldsters, scavenging camp dogs, vintage
military vehicles, and raparian Central Texas karst scenery?
I don't think so!
Here's another album from last month's TCR:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4906884827934.2190445.1172443723&t
ype=1&l=5cf4f19182

--- End Message ---