Bill and Andy, this is a common requirement on caver web sites. I have used
Atomz with good results on both fscsp.org and cavebooks.com
[http://www.atomz.com/].

However on some websites you have a /Private area just to keep out the Google
and other web crawlers because you don't want your name correlated with your
picture, etc. to keep the identity thieves at bay. Atomz claims to have the
ability to handle this but the first time I tried it didn't work. On sensitive
things like this (such as cave locations) you should always check it out "very
carefully" so that you don't get all the extra snoop code installed at the
highest level (admin) that so much of the "free fix my computer" apps seem to
do. (I got rid of Log-Me-In but I am STILL trying to get rid of MacKeeper which
is pinging the internet several times a second...)

If you come up with a good JS that will work behind password protected
directories please let me know.

 - Pete