Dear Friends,

I have recently learned of an error in NCKRI's 2011-2012 Annual Report. The
cover photo has the caption:

"This 1963 photo of rare gypsum chandeliers in Cottonwood Cave, New Mexico,
is one of many taken by the late Bob Trout and donated this year to NCKRI.
Gifts such as this have incredible value, in this case because this
spectacular speleothem was tragically destroyed by vandals. It now only
exists in a few images like this, which NCKRI strives to collect, preserve,
and make available for research and education."

Many years ago Jerry Trout showed me a place in the cave where there is now
bare wall and he described how a chandelier extended to the floor. I don't
know if I was told that this cover photo was of that location or I
misunderstood that it was, but in any case I wrote the photo caption based
on what I understood to be true and accurate. I now know the chandelier in
the photo still exists and is not the destroyed one. I am very sorry for the
error. I will publish a correction in NCKRI's 2012-2013 Annual Report, which
should be released in September or October.

The one thing that remains true about the photo caption is that it is
important for NCKRI and others to collect and archive cave photos to
preserve them as historical and scientific records. I appreciate everyone's
support in helping NCKRI achieve these and other goals. I also appreciate
those cavers who delicately informed me of the error, not wanting to cause
hurt feelings. Everyone at NCKRI works hard to do the best job possible, but
we sometimes make mistakes we don't see. We welcome input that helps us fix
those errors, prevent mistakes in the future, and improve our operations in
general.

For anyone wanting to see this or NCKRI's other annual reports and
publications, visit http://nckri.org/about_nckri/nckri_publications.htm.

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919