Cavers,

     Here's a lecture by Penny Boston that you shouldn't miss. Though the
admission price is high, it will be worth your time. Many of you heard
Penny Boston speak at the December regional and Winter Tech meeting.  Penny
also spoke recently at the NM Museum of Natural History and Science.  She
is a delightful and insightful speaker.  Penny was awarded the NSS Science
Award 2 or 3 years ago. I hope you will consider this lecture
worthwhile.  *Mark
your calendar*, and consider the entertainment and knowledge you will gain
by attending this lecture.

Linda Starr

*Center for International Studies – Albuquerque International Association*
* *

*The Global Cave Wilderness: Our Underground World Heritage*

*Dr. Penelope Boston, New Mexico Tech*

*February 22, 2013 (Fri.) 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.*
* UNM Continuing Education Auditorium*

1634 University Blvd. NE (at the intersection with Indian School Rd.)****

The international community of cave explorers, scientists, and
conservationists are working diligently to protect and understand the
amazing hidden wildland treasures that are out of site underneath our feet.
 These amazing environments can be fragile, and are often the unintentional
targets of pollution and other impacts of civilization.  Unique species of
animals and microorganisms inhabit these realms and can tell us much about
past climates and other conditions above ground by acting as time capsules
of such data.  In addition, many caves are formed in carbonate rocks, and
are intimately associated with carbonate aquifers. These are the sources of
drinking water for about 25-30% of the world's population.  They require
special management practices that differ from those suitable for ordinary
sandstone aquifers.  A final connection of caves to the welfare of our
species is seen in the potential of cave containing landscapes to produce
sinkholes, a type of geohazard that must be taken into account as we decide
where to site the structures that we build.  Dr. Boston will provide a
world tour of spectacular examples of the underground wilderness and
discuss the actions being taken to preserve them for our future, and the
practical aspects of good international management practices for these
global resources.****

** **

Dr. Boston is Director, Cave and Karst Studies Program and Professor in the
Earth and Environmental Sciences Dept. of New Mexico Tech (NM Institute of
Mining and Technology). She is the Associate Director of the National Cave
and Karst Research Institute in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Professor Boston
received her BA, MS, and PhD degrees from the University of Colorado,
Boulder.****

** **

*Lecture: $15/ Members, $20/Non-Members; Students with ID – free. Please
address checks to AIA and mail to AIA, PO Box 92995, Albuquerque, NM 87199 by
February 20. You can also pay on-line or at the door.*

* *
*See www.abqinternational.org  for full calendar of events and updates*

* *

*Supported by New Mexico Humanities Council & Sandia National Labs*****