On a slightly more practical (depending on your definition of practical)
note, if you can snatch up a diesel International Scout II between the
years of 1976-1980, *especially* 1980.  They will seem overpriced compared
to Kelley blue book and for good reason.  If they are in good condition
they will last for 100s of thousands of miles.

The Diesel engines in these cars were Nissans:

   - Nissan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan>
SD33<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_SD_engine#Straight_6>(
   diesel <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine>) (naturally
   aspirated)
   - Nissan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan>
SD33T<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_SD_engine#Straight_6>(turbo
   diesel <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_diesel>—1980 only)

So why scout?  They were built like tanks.  Why diesel?  I won't make the
case for diesel here over gasoline though I do prefer diesel engines:
Though Scout did a good job on their gasoline engines, all the parts around
the engine went to the lowest bidder.  so the distributor might have been
from AMC and the alternator from some other cheap source that would break
(likely shaken to death by the stiff suspension. :-)  ).  The diesels being
from Nissan and being quite solid finding appplications also in industry,
are very servicable and long lasting.

And why don't you hear more about these wonderful vehicles?   Only ~30000
were made per year from 1976-1980, and only ~10000 of them made in 1980,
the last year of production.  During that year, only a fraction were
diesels.

So in other words, they are disappearing.  And if you can find one, you can
have a very good caving vehicle for a reasonable price

-Justin