So far as winch motors shorting out.  I'd say the issue is one of mis-application.  Most winches are not designed to hoist dead loads.   A 1000lb car being winched does not require a 1000lbs of pulling force since most of the weight is resting on a surface and its assumed that load can move. Hoisting a dead load however requires a substantially greater force and components rated to operate under much higher loads continuously since the load remains at maximum throughout its operation.  Additionally, since these dc motors are slow speed high torque their ability to dissipate heat is poor as the motor rpms are slow.  If you are going to use a winch in a continuous haul system I'd look for an AC motor and reduction gear driven hoist, or even better a TRUE hydraulic hoist.   Additionally starting an electric motor into a locked rotor requires up to 6x the full load current to start a variable torque load (fan/pump) and 10x the fla or more for a constant torque load.  That's a substantial amount of heating especially if one is starting and stopping repeatedly in succession under load.

I'd get a 1.5HP AC motor driven hoist winch or if you can find one a hydraulic hoist winch. A lot of these car winches say hydraulic, they are not true "hydraulic" motors with an accumulator and operate on fluid pressure.  Most use a planetary gearing system and while they are great fir pulling your truck out of a ditch they won't work well for a hauling rig to hoist 500lb barrels.. Focus on terminology...hoist and winch.

Scott Serur

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad

On Aug 24, 2012 4:14 PM, Lyndon Tiu <l...@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:
If it is made in Taiwan, it is not made in China.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:
> In the KiWi Sink Digging Project (Hays County, Texas) we've used 2
> 12-volt electric winches of 8000 or 9000 pound rating bolted to
> Terry's truck with the cable running over a pulley at the end of Jin
> Poles hanging out over the pit to raise loaded barrels and lower empty
> ones. Both winches have failed. Terry had a Ramsey (I think) which
> failed for some reason which resulted in sparks and flames spewing
> from the motor. Robert Hemperly saved the day (or the next weekend) by
> buying, delivering, and installing a Taiwan-made winch sold by
> Northern Hydraulics. It failed the first day of operation (after about
> 5 barrels had been hoisted) when the motor refused to stop winding
> when the IN button was released. It was touch-and-go after that. We
> managed to hoist 7 barrels filled this past weekend by the use of
> trickery but took significant extra precautions and were never quite
> comfortable with what we were doing. I'd estimate that a full barrel
> weighs between 400 and 700 pounds, depending on how many rocks are in
> it. That load should not overly strain a proper winch.
>
> The questions are:
> 1) Are all these Chinese winches so poorly made that they will fail
> with such minimal use? Any personal experiences--positive or negative?
> 2) Is there something inherent in them that limits their Duty Cycle?
> (nothing mentioned in operators manual)
> 3) Manual says "don't use for hoisting" but that is in the Safety
> Notes, not the mechanical Operating Instructions section.
> 4) Can anybody recommend a brand (preferably US-made) that has known
> reliability?
> 5) Is 8000 pounds a bogus rating? (Like it'll pull 8000 pounds across
> flat ground.)
> 6) An internet search shows most of these truck winches as "recovery
> winches" indicating they are for getting careless driver's trucks out
> of places they shouldn't have been. Is that term intended to warn
> people against using it to do any useful work?
>
> Any voluntary information about the capacity, design, construction,
> and operation of winches would be welcomed. I obviously don't know
> enough about the modern (non-PTO) versions to make a good decision.
> More importantly, we need something that'll work.
> --Ediger

Lyndon Tiu