I've heard about azimuth/inclination mods to distos, but I didn't know
there was a Bluetooth addition with software that imports the data and
lets you sketch on a PDA.

>From the pics, it looks like you can get more accurate sketches because
you can quickly shoot to every key wall and feature in the room and draw
your sketch around the survey points (more or less real-time) right on
the PDA screen.  That's freaking sweet!  Screw paper sketches, those
awful high-angle measurements, erasure marks, and ANNOYING EDGES OF
PAPER that get in the way of a great sketch, followed by manually
entering all the data points, scanning in all the paper, and the long,
tedious process of drawing everything a second time in Illustrator
(sometimes by someone who has never even been in the cave), then
months/years later you finally have a printable map.  Seems like with
this setup you have a complete map the moment you walk out of the cave.

Holy crap!  Why haven't we all switched to this?

--Bennett

-----Original Message-----
From: Fofo [mailto:f...@gzluna.com]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 7:18 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] DistoX X2 Whatever.

Hey Bennett.

Sorry if there is some confusion, and maybe Serur was asking about the
Disto just as a distance measuring tool and in that case, yeah, the
D210XT is great.

But there are some aftermarket modifications that can be made to the
(now obsolete) Disto A3 that make it measure azimuth and inclination as
well as distance, so it becomes an "all in one" survey tool (and if you
couple it via Bluetooth with a PDA running PocketTopo or Auriga, it's a
"paperless survey": http://paperless.bheeb.ch/ ).

There is an effort to be able to modify the newer Distos, but it
apparently has been much more challenging, that's what I was talking
about.

Take care,

- Fofo