Dear Freddie,

I don't think I know you, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but what under this world are you implying? I apologize if I am misinterpreting what you wrote, but do you mean that most cavers now (sport, science, whatever) are no longer caving for fun? I, for one, don't willingly do very many things that I consider un-fun, and caving is certainly not one of them. I have no disdain for any responsible caver, nor do I know any other cavers who do.

As a scientist, expedition/project caver, and sometimes sport caver, I'd like to point out that, without cave science, there would be a whole lot fewer cavers actually going caving today. WNS is a good example. If cave scientists (speleologists of all types) had not been involved in basic research about WNS, policy decisions, decon protocol, and education, caving may have pretty much been shut down in many areas.

Also, I take serious issue with your comment "...if anyone cares to read such dry boring drivel". While you and many others may not enjoy reading about science, if you can't at least respect and understand that it has made our lives what they are today (including the ability to go caving with more than a cedar torch), perhaps you should consider shunning the use of all technologies and knowledge that science has advanced and created and go back to living in a cave with a torch. Actually, I'm sure that even the torch required some experimentation to find the best wood. :-)

You are correct; I don't consider your comments valid. Not because you are not a PhD, but because they are a bit narrow minded and out of touch with what your own organizations stand for. The NSS's founding mission statement is: "*The National Speleological Society (NSS) is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the scientific study of caves and karst; protecting caves and their natural contents through conservation, ownership, stewardship, and public education; and promoting responsible cave exploration and fellowship
among those interested in caves."*

The TSA's Constitution contains similar language: *"The purposes of TSA are to promote (1) the study and science of speleology, (2) the protection of caves and the preservation of natural and cultural resources within caves, (3) the education of members and the general public, and (4) communication and coordination of speleological activities in the State of Texas. TSA supports the aims
and goals of the National Speleological Society."*

Note that while scientific study of caves is the first thing listed (presumably because it was viewed as very important), science is not the only thing listed. We (The NSS, TSA, etc) are organizations filled with speleologists, project/expedition cavers, sport cavers, educators, people who no longer cave, and even a few people who have never been in a cave. It is time for some folks to stop acting like it is 'us' and 'them', and for everyone to recognize that it is the collective interests of each person in these organizations, all of us as 'cavers', that makes them what they are, and that all of us benefit in unseen ways from this diversity. I, for one, am proud to be a part of these organizations.

And finally, if folks don't like what is being published in the TC, then stop complaining and write something different! And Mark, keep up the good work!

Respectfully,

Benjamin Schwartz