texascavers Digest 27 May 2012 22:59:08 -0000 Issue 1558

Topics (messages 20044 through 20053):

Re: No Tile Roof for Me
        20044 by: Fritz Holt

Re: Poor little rattlesnakes
        20045 by: Fritz Holt
        20047 by: wesley s
        20048 by: Andy Gluesenkamp
        20051 by: R D Milhollin
        20052 by: Arburn Don

Northern Region Cave Closures
        20046 by: Mark Minton

my ex-Facebook
        20049 by: Mixon Bill
        20050 by: Stefan Creaser

TSA Meeting Minutes
        20053 by: Denise P

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---

________________________________

Would you like a "Tile Roof"?

I've always thought they were neat that can be found in Florida, California and
Mexico..... And then someone sent me this video of a re-roofing project. Don't
know how they kept the workers at it!!!

This clip will be enough to make you swear off of tile roofs the rest of your
life!   Bat infestation on a roof...oh god no! - Video
Fantastica!<http://www.videofantastica.com/view_video/111489/>

At least they probably don't have a problem with mosquitoes.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I wouldn't think a wildlife foundation would find any variety of snakes to be
undesirable but I do understand the human safety factor.

Fritz (troublemaker)

________________________________
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:05:06 -0700
From: andrew_gluesenk...@yahoo.com<mailto:andrew_gluesenk...@yahoo.com>
To: o...@texascavers.com<mailto:o...@texascavers.com>;
texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com>;
mandy.h...@ers.state.tx.us<mailto:mandy.h...@ers.state.tx.us>;
jennyh...@anthonytravel.com<mailto:jennyh...@anthonytravel.com>;
bbat...@gmail.com<mailto:bbat...@gmail.com>;
sashm...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:sashm...@sbcglobal.net>;
samashm...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:samashm...@sbcglobal.net>;
sdear...@townandcountryins.com<mailto:sdear...@townandcountryins.com>;
hea...@satx.rr.com<mailto:hea...@satx.rr.com>;
kittymr...@aol.com<mailto:kittymr...@aol.com>;
janjanj...@aol.com<mailto:janjanj...@aol.com>;
jim.sher...@ers.state.tx.us<mailto:jim.sher...@ers.state.tx.us>;
j_e_wag...@comcast.net<mailto:j_e_wag...@comcast.net>;
ka...@karenashmore.com<mailto:ka...@karenashmore.com>;
badba...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:badba...@sbcglobal.net>;
r_isaac...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:r_isaac...@sbcglobal.net>;
fh...@townandcountryins.com<mailto:fh...@townandcountryins.com>

Rattlesnake conservation is a tough row to hoe, period.
Not a lot of fondness on the part of the general public for a creature that the
Book tells us is the definition of evil.

Andy

Andrew G. Gluesenkamp, Ph.D.
700 Billie Brooks Drive
Driftwood, Texas 78619
(512) 799-1095<tel:%28512%29%20799-1095>
a...@gluesenkamp.com<mailto:a...@gluesenkamp.com>

--- On Tue, 5/22/12, Fritz Holt

From: Fritz Holt
<fh...@townandcountryins.com<mailto:fh...@townandcountryins.com>>
Subject: [Texascavers] FW: Poor little rattlesnakes
To: "Off-Topic Texas Cavers"
<o...@texascavers.com<mailto:o...@texascavers.com>>, "TexasCavers"
<texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com>>, "'Mandy
Holt'" <mandy.h...@ers.state.tx.us<mailto:mandy.h...@ers.state.tx.us>>, "'Jenny
Holt'" <jennyh...@anthonytravel.com<mailto:jennyh...@anthonytravel.com>>,
"'bbat...@gmail.com<mailto:bbat...@gmail.com>'"
<bbat...@gmail.com<mailto:bbat...@gmail.com>>, "'Steve Ashmore'"
<sashm...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:sashm...@sbcglobal.net>>, "'Sam Ashmore'"
<samashm...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:samashm...@sbcglobal.net>>, "Sally Dearing"
<sdear...@townandcountryins.com<mailto:sdear...@townandcountryins.com>>, "'Guy
Heath'" <hea...@satx.rr.com<mailto:hea...@satx.rr.com>>, "'June Levy'"
<kittymr...@aol.com<mailto:kittymr...@aol.com>>, "'Janice Vieira'"
<janjanj...@aol.com<mailto:janjanj...@aol.com>>, "'Jim Sherwin'"
<jim.sher...@ers.state.tx.us<mailto:jim.sher...@ers.state.tx.us>>, "'James E.
Wagner'" <j_e_wag...@comcast.net<mailto:j_e_wag...@comcast.net>>, "'Karen
Ashmore'" <ka...@karenashmore.com<mailto:ka...@karenashmore.com>>, "'Debra
Batts'" <badba...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:badba...@sbcglobal.net>>,
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 10:44 AM

I don't share my good friend's feelings about rattlesnakes as I like and am
amazed by all snakes and reptiles in general. Being a city dude I took every
opportunity to have outdoor adventures and to take my family camping. My
daughters and I still enjoy it to this day. We still remove turtles to the
relative safety of our highway rights of way. Too many uninformed individuals
condemn all snakes due to the lack of public education such as that afforded by
BCI for bats. If harmful snakes invade your immediate territory remove them to
a distant similar habitat. I consider myself an environmentalist but not so
extreme as to place all creatures needs above that of man. There is always a
way to satisfy both goals. While I like to see rattlesnakes protected, they
should not be placed on the endangered species list unless there is solid
evidence that they are in danger of becoming extinct. There is already too much
government intervention in our daily lives. I have never been in favor of the
Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup and other such events even if it did put them on
the map for tourists. This is money the town could do without. VIVA LA
RATTLESNAKE!

Fritz

________________________________

Well, I WILL admit that any rattlesnake who ventures onto MY yard IS
endangered!  We have an understanding.  THEY stay in the wild and do NOT come
in MY territory and I will leave them alone.  Otherwise, they will go to the
great snake heaven in the sky.

Jackie

Feds Considering Adding Rattlesnakes to 'Endangered Species List' to Deny Land
Rights<http://visiontoamerica.org/9869/feds-considering-adding-rattlesnakes-to-endangered-species-list-to-deny-land-rights/>
Environmental groups have convinced the federal government to propose listing
the poisonous eastern diamondback rattlesnake as an endangered species in order
to protect the reptile from "human persecution."
"Survival of these snakes in large part depends on whether people continue to
persecute them or instead choose to allow these amazing creatures to share the
land with us," Bill Matturro, spokesman for Protect All Living Species, said in
welcoming the government's decision, announced earlier this month. "In the
Southeast, we are blessed with a rich natural heritage of animals and plants.
All of these species-even the rattlesnakes-should be allowed to exist."
The Fish and Wildlife Service says they are taking comments on listing the
snake because environmental groups presented "substantial scientific or
commercial information indicating that listing the eastern diamondback
rattlesnake may be warranted."

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Battered and fried actually. The bones were a bit of a problem but i guess that
just proves rattlers werent meant for eating.

Wes~

CC: bgillegi...@gmail.com
From: tmrai...@amcs.org
To: mudmal...@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:56:20 -0500

That seem very fair Wes, and I'm sure you make tacos so as not to be wasteful.

Tastes Like Fish, Terry

On May 23, 2012, at 2:13 PM, wesley s wrote:
We have deterrents in place like chickens and a cat but they still come into
our territory. Drawn no doubt by the abundant food and water. We gave the last
snake a three strikes policy and after being hosed down and chased off twice it
came back onto our front porch where it was dispatched. I would have relocated
it were i home at the time but Alia did what she could. So far the rest have
been more respectful of our boundaries. I say live and let live. They keep the
mice down for us and that counts for something.

Wes~

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Tastes like stringy fish that had been eating rats.  I've skinned, gutted,
defleshed, and skeletonized about a hundred of them and they are not the most
appetizing snake for food.   Fresh boa or python looks and smells pretty good
and the boneless backstraps are huge.  Still, the "eats rats" thing. .....

Sent from my iPhone

On May 24, 2012, at 3:19 PM, wesley s <mudmal...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Battered and fried actually. The bones were a bit of a problem but i guess
> that just proves rattlers werent meant for eating.
>
> Wes~
> CC: bgillegi...@gmail.com
> From: tmrai...@amcs.org
> To: mudmal...@hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] FW: Poor little rattlesnakes
> Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:56:20 -0500
>
> That seem very fair Wes, and I'm sure you make tacos so as not to be wasteful.
>
> Tastes Like Fish, Terry
>

> On May 23, 2012, at 2:13 PM, wesley s wrote:
>
> We have deterrents in place like chickens and a cat but they still come into
> our territory. Drawn no doubt by the abundant food and water. We gave the
> last snake a three strikes policy and after being hosed down and chased off
> twice it came back onto our front porch where it was dispatched. I would have
> relocated it were i home at the time but Alia did what she could. So far the
> rest have been more respectful of our boundaries. I say live and let live.
> They keep the mice down for us and that counts for something.
>
> Wes~

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have eaten rats in a tomato and chile stew in San Luis Potosi - delicioso.

I envy those snakes.

________________________________
 From: Andy Gluesenkamp <andrew_gluesenk...@yahoo.com>
Tastes like stringy fish that had been eating rats.  I've skinned, gutted,
defleshed, and skeletonized about a hundred of them and they are not the most
appetizing snake for food.   Fresh boa or python looks and smells pretty good
and the boneless backstraps are huge.  Still, the "eats rats" thing. .....

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Explains a LOT.

On May 25, 2012, at 10:42 AM, R D Milhollin wrote:

> I have eaten rats in a tomato and chile stew in San Luis Potosi - delicioso.
>
> I envy those snakes.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Apparently the northern region of the U. S. Forest service is considering a plan to close all caves on Forest Service lands in the northern Rockies of Montana and Idaho to protect against WNS, even before there is any evidence that it is a threat there. The plan could take effect this summer. Our nemesis the Center for Biological Diversity has a hand in this. Ex-Texas caver Mike McEachern is quoted in the article. <http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-16/business/sns-rt-us-usa-bats-diseasebre84g05f-20120516_1_bat-disease-white-nose-syndrome-caves-and-mines>

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- In a moment of weakness I signed up for Facebook. During the time before I deleted the account, several of you asked to "friend" me. The messages did not contain your e-mail addresses, so the only convenient way to tell you why your request has been ignored is this broadcast message. But thanks. -- Mixon
God created the world in six days. On the seventh day, while God rested, the Devil created religion.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I saw that, briefly, in the corner of my facebook screen. I couldn't believe
it!  I checked my medication, just in case, but it was fine. I wasn't imagining
it!

-Stefan
In a moment of weakness I signed up for Facebook. During the time
before I deleted the account, several of you asked to "friend" me. The
messages did not contain your e-mail addresses, so the only convenient
way to tell you why your request has been ignored is this broadcast
message. But thanks. -- Mixon
God created the world in six days. On the seventh day, while God
rested, the Devil created religion.

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello -  The minutes from the May TSA meeting are posted.

There’s a direct link from the home page to the minutes under
announcements:http://www.cavetexas.org/index.html

Thanks,
Denise
TSA Secretary