If you come to a cave with a skull-and-crossbones posted at the entrance,
carbon dioxide is probably why. Don't go in without breathing apparatus. I know
of one at least one right near the highway to Bustamente. If I recall
correctly, they have sort of mazes at or near the entrances that prohibit the
free flow of air. Here's a very simple overview of carbon dioxide poisoning:
Carbon Dioxide PoisoningWhat is carbon dioxide poisoning? What are its causes
and symptoms? Read on to know how to identify if a person is suffering from it
and how to treat him...Carbon dioxide is a natural by-product of the various
reactions that take place inside our body. Exposure to high levels of the gas
can increase its amount in the blood. The result is carbon dioxide poisoning
which is also referred to as hypercapnia orhypercarbia. In our blood, carbon
dioxide is in equilibrium with bicarbonates. Hence, blood tests in case of
hypercapnia may show increased levels of bicarbonates as well.

Causes

Carbon dioxide is being produced continuously by the cells of our body.
Inability of the body in expelling this gas or exposure to air having high
concentrations of the gas, leads to carbon dioxide poisoning.Re-breathing
exhaled air due to conditions like sleeping in air tight tents or sleeping with
heads covered in blankets can cause hypercapnia.Working in confined areas that
have poor air circulation as in mines, holds of ships, or underground tunnels
and shafts may also raise levels of carbon dioxide in the blood.Breathing in
areas with high levels of the gas, such as areas close to a volcano makes one
susceptible to such health problems.Scuba divers are particularly at risk. If
carbon dioxide is not properly filtered out or in case their breathing
equipment malfunctions, divers can suffer from high levels of the gas in
blood.Some external sources that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning include
cigarette smoke, gas water heaters, charcoal grills, boats with engine, diesel
or gasoline powered generators, and spray paints.Besides these external
conditions, medical conditions like lung diseases, respiratory problems, and
neuromuscular disorder can also trigger carbon dioxide poisoning.
Symptoms

Mild poisoning symptoms are:Muscle twitchingReduced neural activityFlushed
skinHigh blood pressureAs the severity of hypercapnia increases, the following
symptoms may be experienced:HeadacheLethargyElevated rate of cardiac
outputIrregular heartbeatPanicConvulsionsChest
painHallucinationsVomitingStomach painSeizuresMemory problemsChanges in
visionUnconsciousnessEventually death
Treatment

'Prevention is better than cure'. Be alert if working in an environment with
high levels of carbon dioxide in the air or if suffering from any medical
condition that may make a person susceptible to carbon dioxide poisoning.
Knowing the cause will help in the treatment. Be conversant with the symptoms.
In case a person is suffering from hypercapnia take him out to an environment
where there is proper circulation of air. Individuals exposed to mild levels of
carbon dioxide in air should recover fully on their own. However, if it is a
case of severe toxicity, caused due to exposure to high levels of the gas, then
it is best to call in an ambulance. It is important to ensure that the air
passage of the patient is clear of any blockage. In case one has access to
continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), put the mask on the patient's
mouth. This helps in restoring normal breathing by providing mechanical
ventilation in case the patient's breathing is compromised. Medications to
improve lung functions may also help.

Ensure that the patient has enough amount of oxygen to breathe. Although such
conditions are ideally provided in hospitals, portable oxygen tents or
canisters of breathable oxygen can also be of help. Emergency supportive care,
such as endotracheal intubation and hemodynamic support can also be
administered. However, such steps are taken only under the supervision of
healthcare professionals. People may also suffer from hypercapnia in case they
are working at high altitudes. In such a case, move the patient to a lower
altitude where the air has higher levels of oxygen in the atmosphere. The
amounts of acid and oxygen in the blood of a patient should be checked
regularly to determine the level of carbon dioxide in blood.

People working in conditions that do not have proper air circulation need to be
aware of carbon dioxide poisoning and its symptoms. Ensure whatever initial
help you can provide to the patient. Even if the patient recovers, it is always
advisable to take him to the physician and follow the levels of the gas in
blood through proper tests.By Debopriya Bose
Last Updated: 12/26/2011