texascavers Digest 6 Mar 2012 00:05:33 -0000 Issue 1510

Topics (messages 19667 through 19675):

Re: nice article on recent exploration in  Phantom Springs Cave
        19667 by: Ron Ralph
        19668 by: Butch Fralia

Special Election Update
        19669 by: Saj Zappitello

O-9 Well trip report - March 03, 2012
        19670 by: David Ochel

UT Grotto Meeting - Wed March 7
        19671 by: Gary Franklin

Green car technology for off-road underground transport :
        19672 by: JerryAtkin.aol.com

TSA Spring Convention is almost here! March 30-April 1st, Boerne, TX
        19673 by: ellie watson

International Exploration Session at 2012 NSS Convention
        19674 by: Mark Minton

Re: CRF March Barstow Speaker Series
        19675 by: germanyj.aol.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
And while we are nit-picking, it is not the Texas Speleological Society but
rather the TEXAS SPELEOLOGICAL SURVEY. There is no Texas Speleological
Society to my knowledge.

Ron Ralph, President
TSS

Thursday, March 22, 2012

8:00-8:30am Check-In & Breakfast Served
8:30-10:00am Presentation
at the
Four Seasons Hotel Austin
98 San Jacinto Boulevard

Tickets
Regular Non-Member - $40.00
CRF Tributary League Member - FREE
CRF River Society Member & Student - $20.00

To purchase tickets, please go to
http://coloradoriver.org/events/barstow-speaker-series, email
cont...@coloradoriver.org
or call 512-498-1587.

Proceeds benefit the Colorado River Foundation.

Distinguished Speaker Panel

Laura Huffman
Texas State Director, The Nature Conservancy

Laura J. Huffman assumed the role of Texas State Director of The Nature
Conservancy in June 2008. Mrs. Huffman heads a Texas staff of nearly 100
scientists, conservation experts, and support staff working at preserves and
projects across the state, including more than a dozen major freshwater
conservation projects of critical importance. A native of Austin, Texas, Mrs.
Huffman has long devoted substantial time to advancing environmental causes
such as projects to protect water-supply quality and public green spaces. As
deputy city manager for San Marcos from 1994 to 2002 and assistant city manager
for Austin from 2002 to 2008, she spearheaded key watershed protection and
economic development initiatives for both cities. Mrs. Huffman earned a Master
of Public Affairs degree from the University of Texas at Austin and a Bachelor
of Science degree from Texas A&M University in College Station.

Becky Motal
General Manager, LCRA

Rebecca S. Motal became the Lower Colorado River Authority's 10th general
manager on July 2, 2011. She is the first female general manager in LCRA's
history. Motal first began working for LCRA in 1972 after receiving a
bachelor's degree in math from the University of Texas. She left to pursue a
law degree and worked as an environmental attorney before returning to LCRA in
1987. Motal returned to serve as manager of Economic and Financial Planning. In
2007, she was promoted to Executive Manager of External Affairs, where she
coordinated LCRA's activities with state and federal regulatory agencies. In
that position, Motal had oversight over local governmental affairs, public
affairs, customer service and corporate events. Motal, a Corpus Christi native,
has three degrees from the University of Texas at Austin: a Bachelor of Arts in
mathematics, a law degree, and a master's degree in business administration.
She is  also on the Board of the Texas Public Power Association.

Andrew Sansom
Executive Director, Tecas River Systems Institute

Andrew Sansom is one of Texas’ leading conservationists. He is a former
Executive Director of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and Executive
Director of the Texas Nature Conservancy.  For his commitment to the management
and protection of natural resources, Mr. Sansom is a recipient of the Chevron
Conservation Award, The Chuck Yeager Award from the National Fish and Wildlife
Foundation, The Pugsley Medal from the National Park Foundation, the Seton
Award from the International  Association of  Fish and Wildlife Agencies and
the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Nature Conservancy. He is a
Distinguished Alumnus of Austin College and Texas Tech University. Mr. Sansom
now serves as Research Professor of Geography and Executive Director of the
River Systems Institute at Texas State University where he coordinates
university policy and research related to freshwater resources, manages th e
headwaters of the San Marcos River; administers the most extensive freshwater
environmental education program in Texas; and supervises the training and
coordination of more than 1000 volunteer water monitors in rivers and streams
throughout the State.

Edward Vaughn
Chairman, Water Development Board

Edward Vaughan is an attorney in private practice. He serves as a director of
Security State Bank of Pearsall, a director of the Texas and Southwestern
Cattleraisers Association, a director of The Former Texas Rangers Foundation,
an advisory director of First State Bank of Uvalde, and an advisory director of
the Texas Agricultural Land Trust. Mr. Vaughan is a past president, chairman,
and director of the Texas Lyceum. A member of the Texas Water Development Board
since 2008, Mr.Vaughan was appointed chairman in December 2010. He serves as
the Board's representative on the Texas Bioenergy Policy Council. A frequent
speaker at continuing legal education seminars and related programs, Mr.
Vaughan holds a Bachelor's degree from the University of Texas and a law degree
from St. Mary's University. His term expires on December 31, 2013.

Moderated By

Evan Smith
CEO & Editor in Chief, The Texas Tribune

Evan Smith is the Editor in Chief and CEO of The Texas Tribune, a non-profit,
non-partisan digital news organization based in Austin. The Tribune's deep
coverage of Texas politics and public policy can found at its website,
texastribune.org; in the pages of the New York Times; and in newspapers and on
TV and radio stations across the state. In not quite two years in operation,
the Tribune has won two Edward R. Murrow Awards from the Radio Television
Digital News Association, a general excellence award from the Online News
Association and a Knight-Batten award for innovations in journalism. Before
co-founding the Tribune, Evan spent nearly 18 years at Texas Monthly, including
eight years as Editor and a year as President and Editor in Chief. On his
watch, Texas Monthly twice won the National Magazine Award for General
Excellence.

About the Barstow Speaker Series

Created by a generous gift from the Barstow Foundation, the goal of the Barstow
Speaker Series is to bring prominent business, community, and environmental
leaders to address members and friends of the Colorado River Foundation on a
variety of topics pertaining to environmental stewardship.

P.O. Box 50029, Austin, Texas 78763-0029
                        cont...@coloradoriver.org • 512.498.1587 •
www.coloradoriver.org

          This email was sent to germa...@aol.com.            To ensure that
you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe
list.

            manage your preferences |        opt out using TrueRemove®.

--- End Message ---