texascavers Digest 11 Mar 2012 05:03:30 -0000 Issue 1512

Topics (messages 19685 through 19698):

luggage rack for RAV4
        19685 by: Nancy Weaver

Bexar Grotto Presentation 3/12/2012
        19686 by: joe schaertl

Re: Anyone caving in Mexico over spring break?
        19687 by: Herman Miller
        19690 by: freddie poer
        19691 by: Nico Escamilla
        19692 by: Diana Tomchick
        19694 by: Louise Power

D&P Work Weekend
        19688 by: Don Arburn
        19695 by: tom rogers

thanks
        19689 by: Nancy Weaver

Travel in Mexico
        19693 by: Mike Walsh

New NSS Website (www.caves.org)
        19696 by: R D Milhollin

warning: for geeks--three UTG meetings in February
        19697 by: Mixon Bill

Government Canyon Karst Project date changes
        19698 by: Marvin and Lisa

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- Looking for the Toyota luggage crossbar unit for a 98 RAV 4, 4 door. I think several years in the vicinity of this one used the same rack. Anybody who has one they dont want, let me know, to me not cavetex.

thanks,  Nancy

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The Bexar Grotto presentation for Monday March 12th will be the
"American/British/Chinese China Caving Expedition" delivered by Bill Steele.
General meeting starts at 7:00pm, followed by the presentation.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
As I have already mentioned I am always wanting to go but nothing solid yet.

On Tuesday, March 6, 2012, Nico Escamilla <pitboun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BS
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Check this out:
>>
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46644850/ns/travel-seasonal_travel/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Go to the Xilitla and Aquismon areas. I have made over nine trips there in the
last two years without any problems whatsoever. The big pits Guaguas and
Golondrinas are there and the people are friendly and accommodating. It is less
than 24 hrs. from Austin. Accomodations are available so you don't have to
sleep on the ground in a tent unless you really want to. There are a lot of
caves in this area, the biggest and best in the world. They are NOT hunting
Americans there or anywhere else in Mexico, so come on down and have a good
time. I actually feel safer traveling there now than I did in the 70's and
80's. Maybe we will see you in the El Agave some evening.

As I have already mentioned I am always wanting to go but nothing solid yet.

On Tuesday, March 6, 2012, Nico Escamilla <pitboun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BS
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Check this out:
>>
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46644850/ns/travel-seasonal_travel/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Freddie,

I dont remember having met you in person yet, but THANK YOU!! thank you so
much
finally someone is making some sense about traveling here in Mexico, I
couldn't have said it better, Americans aren't being hunted down here which
is a message I've been trying to get my gringo friends to understand as
many of them think that driving around here with Texas plates will
automatically turn them into victims.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM, freddie poer <freddiepoe...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Go to the Xilitla and Aquismon areas. I have made over nine trips there in
> the last two years without any problems whatsoever. The big pits Guaguas
> and Golondrinas are there and the people are friendly and accommodating. It
> is less than 24 hrs. from Austin. Accomodations are available so you don't
> have to sleep on the ground in a tent unless you really want to. There are
> a lot of caves in this area, the biggest and best in the world. They are
> NOT hunting Americans there or anywhere else in Mexico, so come on down and
> have a good time. I actually feel safer traveling there now than I did in
> the 70's and 80's. Maybe we will see you in the El Agave some evening.

Nico,

I'm sure Americans aren't being hunted per se, but I would guess that their
4-wheel drive pickups, money and other useful goods are coveted in certain
parts of the country where there is no one to stop people from taking these
things from them.

People asked me if I felt unsafe when I went to China recently, and I did not.
I have to say that there was an evening in Granada, Spain on my August vacation
where I felt more vulnerable than I have in years, but that was because Bill
and I foolishly wandered off late at night and got turned around in some back
streets where it's known that young thugs target wealthy tourists. Fortunately
we found another couple that lived in the city and helped us with our locations
(note: get cell phone activated for next trip to Europe).

As with any travel, if you go to the wrong places you may be targeted. It's
kind of difficult right now for gringos who don't speak a lot of Spanish to
know where the wrong places are anymore in the rural Mexican caving areas.

Diana

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.
Email: diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
214-645-6383 (phone)
214-645-6353 (fax)

On Mar 9, 2012, at 11:38 AM, Nico Escamilla wrote:

> Freddie,
>
> I dont remember having met you in person yet, but THANK YOU!! thank you so
> much
> finally someone is making some sense about traveling here in Mexico, I
> couldn't have said it better, Americans aren't being hunted down here which
> is a message I've been trying to get my gringo friends to understand as many
> of them think that driving around here with Texas plates will automatically
> turn them into victims.
>
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM, freddie poer <freddiepoe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Go to the Xilitla and Aquismon areas. I have made over nine trips there in
> the last two years without any problems whatsoever. The big pits Guaguas and
> Golondrinas are there and the people are friendly and accommodating. It is
> less than 24 hrs. from Austin. Accomodations are available so you don't have
> to sleep on the ground in a tent unless you really want to. There are a lot
> of caves in this area, the biggest and best in the world. They are NOT
> hunting Americans there or anywhere else in Mexico, so come on down and have
> a good time. I actually feel safer traveling there now than I did in the 70's
> and 80's. Maybe we will see you in the El Agave some evening.

________________________________

UT Southwestern Medical Center
The future of medicine, today.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I guess what concerned me the most was the emphasis on crime and violence along
the border where we always used to go through and in the larger cities like
Monterrey where we used to visit before and after trips. Like some, I'm not so
concerned about the interior, but getting there may no longer be half the fun.
Not concerned for myself, however, since I'm in Oregon now and not just a few
hours away. We have our own problems here along the I-5 corridor which is a
river of drugs. Also, we have problems in the National Forests and on BLM lands
where the cartels have huge MJ gardens. This has been going on for years and
doesn't seem to get better.
Louise

> [...]
> > automatically turn them into victims.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM, freddie poer <freddiepoe...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > Go to the Xilitla and Aquismon areas. I have made over nine trips there in
> > the last two years without any problems whatsoever. The big pits Guaguas
> > and Golondrinas are there and the people are friendly and accommodating. It
> > is less than 24 hrs. from Austin. Accomodations are available so you don't
> > have to sleep on the ground in a tent unless you really want to. There are
> > a lot of caves in this area, the biggest and best in the world. They are
> > NOT hunting Americans there or anywhere else in Mexico, so come on down and
> > have a good time. I actually feel safer traveling there now than I did in
> > the 70's and 80's. Maybe we will see you in the El Agave some evening.

March 16, 17 & 18
We are going to work on the back porch roof and a few other things.
Anyone interested?

Sent cellularly.
-Don

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sure why not. I'll bring a full aray of tools. Enough so that everyone can join
in on the fun. Tom Rogers