texascavers Digest 3 May 2012 18:54:41 -0000 Issue 1540

Topics (messages 19925 through 19935):

Government Canyon Karst Project
        19925 by: Marvin and Lisa

Re: Ancient Human Skeleton Stolen from Cenote
        19926 by: Logan McNatt

[TSA Meeting]
        19927 by: Arburn Don

caving in Papua New Guinea
        19928 by: Mixon Bill

Re: Caves  under Monterrey, Mexico
        19929 by: Mixon Bill

Your Webinar Invitation: Join us for "Caving robot conquers the deepest
sinkhole in the world"
        19930 by: Geary Schindel

caves under Monterrey
        19931 by: Mixon Bill

WNS now reported in Hamilton County, TN (Chattanooga Area)
        19932 by: NSS Announcements

Topo Map Sale
        19933 by: Mark Minton

Bill Stone article by Mike Taylor in Wired
        19934 by: Roger Moore

Rope suggestions
        19935 by: Mallory Mayeux

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Cavers:

The next project weekend at Government Canyon SNA is the 26th and 27th of
May. Please note that the date on the TSA website calendar is incorrect.

On the 26th and 27th we will be surveying caves, looking for caves, digging
for caves . . . You get the picture. There is much to do and I hope to see
you out there. We will meet at the Volunteer/Research Station at 9:00 both
mornings. To get there enter the park at the main gate then take the first
right. Go through an unlocked gate and close it behind you. Drive for about
a mile to the VRS.

If you wish to camp please contact me so I can set it up with the park.

Marvin Miller

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thanks for that link, Mark. I guess the "grave robbers" figure they can sell it on the black market? I don't have much hope they will be caught unless they do something else stupid.

The New Scientist website has some interesting headlines, akin to The Onion, like
"Wrinkled Doughnut Solves Geometrical Mystery".

Logan

On 4/29/2012 9:30 PM, Mark Minton wrote:
An archaeologically important human skeleton has been stolen from a cenote in Mexico: <http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21741-bones-of-ancient-american-stolen-from-underwater-cave.htm>

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sunday, May 13 is the date for the next TSA Meeting.  9:30 a.m. is the time.
Colorado Bend is the place!
Contact me for further details.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- French expedition to PNG earlier this year, with photo gallery and nice video:

http://www.2012.papouasie.org/

--Mixon
When you consider television's awesome power to educate, aren't you thankful it doesn't?
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Anybody know anything about this? I suspect mines, not caves, but the area of the city is very large. Reply directly to Maria, please. -- Mixon

Begin forwarded message:

From: Maria Luisa Holmgreen <mholmgr...@earthlink.net>
Date: May 1, 2012 1:44:00 PM CDT
To: "bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu" <bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Caves  under Monterrey, Mexico

Dear Mr.Mixon,

I write to you in the hope that you may be able to assist me in locating a map or schematic drawing of caves which are located under the city of Monterrey. I know of their existence because my mother lived in a home which had an entrance into the labyrinth of tunnels and caverns. She played with her siblings in the caves until a teenager when my grandfather tired of worrying about his children ge

Sent from my iPhone

When you consider television's awesome power to educate, aren't you thankful it doesn't?
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Folks, we are pleased to announce a test run of the first NSS Webinar.  We are
asking the Utah and Texas caving community to participate in the first NSS
webinar as a trial run for future webinars.  Space is limited to 100 people.
We would like to have sufficient number of people attend the webinar to get
good feedback but there is not space in our webinar account yet for more than
100 people to attend at this time so sign up early.  Thanks to Debbie Spoons
from Utah for organizing this along with Dr. Marcus Gary for agreeing to make
the presentation. Also, R.D. Milholin and Aaron Bird for serving on the webinar
committee.  We will also be looking for sponsors for the webinars as we expect
our costs to range around $1,000 if we stick with the 100 person limit and
$3,000 for the 500 person limit per year. In addition, we will be able to
record each webinar for future download. If you have ideas about future
presenters or subjects, please us know and we’ll try to arrange it.  Webinars
can be offered as frequently as the webinar committee has time and willing
presenters.

Thanks, and please make sure that you give us some feedback on the webinar.

Geary Schindel,
NSS AVP

[http://www4.gotomeeting.com/g2w/images/555781727/369495491506088562/embed.jpg]

Caving robot conquers the deepest sinkhole in the world

Join us for a Webinar on May 7

[http://img.gotomeeting.com/g2mimages/webinar/themes/basic/button_registerNow.gif]<https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/555781727>

Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/555781727

Please join us for the first NSS Webinar.
Marcus Gary, Ph.D., P.G.  will be talking about his work with “DEPTHX” an
underwater caving robot.  This robot is designed to “think for itself” while it
explores and maps, in 3D, deep underwater caves that are inaccessible to people.
“DEPTHX” was able to successfully map the lower portion and bottom of the
world's deepest water-filled sinkhole, “Cenote Zacatón”, in Mexico. Because of
its great depth (over 1,000 feet [300 m]), human divers had failed to reach, or
even detect with sonar instruments, the bottom of this sinkhole.

Come and enjoy this presentation about a very unique “Robot caving trip”.

Title:

Caving robot conquers the deepest sinkhole in the world

Monday, May 7, 2012

Time:

8:00 PM - 9:00 PM CDT

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information
about joining the Webinar.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server

Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer

[http://www4.gotomeeting.com/g2w/images/555781727/359021838487642527/embed.jpg]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Sorry. I guess that Maria Holmgreen Luisa doesn't really want to know the answer to her question about caves under Monterrey, because she has her e-mail account set up to reject incoming mail from people not on her list. Just ignore her.--Bill
When you consider television's awesome power to educate, aren't you thankful it doesn't?
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

[From Peter Youngbaer, WNS Liaison]

Hamilton County, TN

Press release:

http://caves.org/WNS/Lookout%20Mountain%20Cave%20May%201,%202012.pdf

Note that for the first time in a USFWS-partnered press release we have some contextual information (2 bats = 18% of colony; no mortality). We can thank Ron Miller for this - he was on the survey and mentioned the lack of this sort of information in previous press releases to the National Park biologist. Pays to speak up.

Peter Youngbaer
White Nose Syndrome Liaison
National Speleological Society
(802) 272-3802

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- If you want paper topo maps, the USGS is apparently having a closeout sale for $1 each! <http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/start/%28xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd%29/.do> . My guess is that paper maps are being eliminated, so this may be one of your last chances to get one. All USGS topo maps are also available on line for free. Texas is available at <http://www.tnris.org/get-data> and NM from <http://sar.lanl.gov/topo_maps/> in addition to from the USGS directly. You can also get a Google Earth plug-in for the entire U. S. at http://www.gearthblog.com/kmfiles/topomaps.kmz>; get the file called topomaps.kmz.

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

> News  1 new result for "Michael Ray Taylor"
>
> Q&A: Explorer and Robotics Engineer on Historic SpaceX Flight
> Wired News
> By Michael Ray Taylor This is the second in a series of Wired Q&As with
> spaceflight experts leading up to SpaceX's launch. Read the first installment.
>
> Tip: Use a minus sign (-) in front of terms in your query that you want to
> exclude. Learn more.
>
> Delete this alert.
> Create another alert.
> Manage your alerts.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm looking into buying my first rope. (Mostly to be used in my apartment,
for our informal rope practice nights, conducted using a ladder stolen from
my apartment complex, and the wall of my upstairs loft.) Anyway, I'd like
to get something that will be useful for caves as well.

So...suggestions, please! Is 50 foot rope too short for most pits? Or is it
useful?  What brand/thickness would y'all recommend?

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure is going to be an interesting
discussion. :)

Mallory

--- End Message ---