Might be going out on a limb here but i believe that Mr. Locklear is referring
to the fact that the procedure is a "popular election" in which the candidates
vie for votes; in essence competing in a popularity contest. This is why he
suggested a truly "unbiased" method of selection akin to a random number
generator that would arbitrarily chose the victor based on random chance. The
trouble is, David, it's exactly the "bias" (or "discretion" as some of us like
to call it) that we count on in a representative democratic system to be the
very factor that controls the election of our representatives. Its what keeps
folks who have no business being in office out... theoretically, by allowing
the public to form opinions and judge each candidate on their merits. Trouble
is, it requires the educated discretion of an entire electorate to make it
work. Are we better off letting people have their own biased choices? Sometimes
i wonder. But i wouldn't want to be apart of any system that takes away your
choice or mine. If i don't get elected i won't be hurt. That's just how we do
things.

Wes~