From: David [mailto:dlocklea...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:14 PM
To: Cavers Texas
Subject: [Texascavers] old AMCS newsletters

Soon after I started caving, I became interested in reading AMCS
newsletters.     But it was
not easy for me to get my hands on an issue.    I usually had to buy
one once a year at TCR,
in order to get the privilege to read it.    But I was a college
student on a very tight budget.  So,
it took me several years to get caught up on all the speleo-history of
the AMCS.

Today's new cavers don't realize how lucky they are.

Many issues are view-able online as PDF's, and can be saved on your
iPad, or e-Reader.

The one below mentions Richard M. Smith ( as a staff member of the
newsletter )

http://digital.lib.usf.edu:8080/fedora/get/usfldc:A30-00009/DOCUMENT_PDF

Here is another:

     http://www.cave-exploration.com/papers/Yaxchen-AMCS.pdf

It looks like quite a few of them are view-able from the KarstPortal
site:

http://www.karstportal.org/FileStorage/Assn_Mex_Cave/1975-v001-January.p
df

http://www.karstportal.org/FileStorage/Assn_Mex_Cave/1975-v002-May.pdf

http://www.karstportal.org/FileStorage/Assn_Mex_Cave/1975-v003-October.p
df

http://www.karstportal.org/FileStorage/Assn_Mex_Cave/1976-v004-May.pdf

http://www.karstportal.org/FileStorage/Assn_Mex_Cave/1977-v005-January.p
df

http://www.karstportal.org/FileStorage/Assn_Mex_Cave/1977-v005-index.pdf

I look forward to the day, when I have a portable gadget where I can
easily manage
and retrieve all the cool caving information that has saturated the
internet.    A creative caver
could sell a caver-modified iPad at the next NSS Convention that is
pre-loaded with
Speleo-Bloatware.    That would be so awesome.     How much extra would
you pay
for an iPad 2, that had built-in apps just for cavers ?     And how
would it be different from a
stock model ?  ( e-mail me privately and I will share the comments
with others. )

David Locklear