texascavers Digest 7 Sep 2011 15:39:58 -0000 Issue 1382

Topics (messages 18483 through 18493):

TSS Mapping Workshop, Saturday, September 24th
        18483 by: Leslie Bell

Re: Schumacher Donation Bank Account Set Up
        18484 by: Denise P

another caver loses home
        18485 by: David

Re: caver Steve in Bastrop
        18486 by: David

new biners
        18487 by: David
        18488 by: Mark Minton

Bill Brooks is another caver who appears to have lost everything
        18489 by: Dale Barnard

Re: [greater_houston_grotto] Fwd: [Texascavers] Schumacher Donation Bank
Account Set Up
        18490 by: Fritz Holt
        18491 by: Mallory Mayeux

TCR 2011!
        18492 by: Allan B. Cobb
        18493 by: Fritz Holt

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Feeling creative and don't know what to do with yourself?

If you've ever wanted to learn how to use graphic design programs such as Gimp
(similar to Adobe Photoshop) or Inkscape (similar to Adobe Illustrator), have
we got the place for you.

Texas Speleological Society Mapping Workshop
Saturday, September 24th
10AM - 6PM
J.J. Pickle Research Campus, Building 18-A
Austin, TX

Come on down to the TSS headquarters.
Help us scan and clean maps, and we will teach you how to use Gimp and Inkscape
for use in creating your own maps and elsewhere.

We will be serving pizza and sodas for lunch (A donation of $10 is suggested to
pay for snacks, luncheon and beverages).

For directions, visit:
http://www.utexas.edu/tmm/sponsored_sites/tss/About/tssdirections.htm

Leslie Bell

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This may be premature, but I wonder if anyone has a travel trailer to loan them
to use at their place if they need one? We offered ours, but it is tiny.

-Denise

From: leboeu...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:04:02 -0500
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Schumacher Donation Bank Account Set Up

I have set up a secondary checking account of the UT Grotto's in order to
accept donations for Carol and Brad Schumacher.  Please email me directly at
leboeu...@gmail.com for specific information on how to make a deposit.

Again, they have lost their whole home to the Bastrop Fire.  Accepting item
donations at Crystal LeBoeuf's house in Manchaca or Ediger's house in Austin.
Brad wears at 32/30 pant, med/lg shirt, and 8.5 shoe.  Carol is a 36D (whoa!),
size 3 in dresses, 7/9 other sizes, and a 7 shoe.

Crystal LeBoeuf
512-470-5527

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
A few of you may know Steve Keselik.

His family is safe, but they too apparently lost everything.

    skese...@gmail.com

He owns some sort of cabinet making business and that
too apparently burned to the ground.

He used to be on CaveTex, so I will let him or someone that
knows him well post more info.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
He took the family to stay with relatives near Galveston.     He is
going to chill there
for a while, so does not have any urgent needs.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Check out these new biners, not yet on the market.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/uploads/black-diamond/images/Magnetron%20Gridlock%204%20Colors.jpeg

Unfortunately, the gate is held shut with strong magnets, so you will
not want to have them on a survey trip.

I wonder if the magnets will work well in a really muddy pit.

There is a tiny carbon steel piece fused into the aluminum of the
biner latch.    I wonder
how that will corrode ?

Skip to 1:30 in the video below:

     http://vimeo.com/26180155

Note he ends the video by using the phrase, "very secure."

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- You're a little late, David. I reported that on July 14. Maybe that was during your Texascavers hiatus...

Mark Minton

At 02:52 AM 9/7/2011, David wrote:
Check out these new biners, not yet on the market.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/uploads/black-diamond/images/Magnetron%20Gridlock%204%20Colors.jpeg

Unfortunately, the gate is held shut with strong magnets, so you will
not want to have them on a survey trip.

I wonder if the magnets will work well in a really muddy pit.

There is a tiny carbon steel piece fused into the aluminum of the
biner latch.    I wonder
how that will corrode ?

Skip to 1:30 in the video below:

     http://vimeo.com/26180155

Note he ends the video by using the phrase, "very secure."

David Locklear

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It looks almost certain that caver Bill Brooks also lost everything but the
shirt on his back. He is staying with his brother in College Station and has
not been allowed to visit his property yet. The fire was to the NW, NE, and
N of him, so there is almost no hope that it missed his place. If you need
his email address, I can send it to you.

Dale

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Mallory,

I must mention that from my personal observation, Wes may be a young guy but he
is a most active and very accomplished caver.

Fritz

________________________________
From: Crystal LeBoeuf <leboeu...@gmail.com<mailto:leboeufcm%40gmail.com>>
Date: Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers%40texascavers.com>

leboeu...@gmail.com<mailto:leboeufcm%40gmail.com> for specific information on
how to make a deposit.

Again, they have lost their whole home to the Bastrop Fire. Accepting item
donations at Crystal LeBoeuf's house in Manchaca or Ediger's house in
Austin. Brad wears at 32/30 pant, med/lg shirt, and 8.5 shoe. Carol is a
36D (whoa!), size 3 in dresses, 7/9 other sizes, and a 7 shoe.

Crystal LeBoeuf
512-470-5527

__._,_.___
Reply to
sender<mailto:cavera...@aol.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bgreater_houston_grotto%5D%20Fwd%3A%20%5BTexascavers%5D%20Schumacher%20Donation%20Bank%20Account%20Set%20Up>
group<mailto:greater_houston_gro...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bgreater_houston_grotto%5D%20Fwd%3A%20%5BTexascavers%5D%20Schumacher%20Donation%20Bank%20Account%20Set%20Up>
 | Start a New
Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/greater_houston_grotto/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlYW1nMjZtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMTI3NTAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI1NDA1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMxNTM1MTcxOQ-->
Messages in this
topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/greater_houston_grotto/message/10756;_ylc=X3oDMTM2MmUzM2x0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMTI3NTAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI1NDA1BG1zZ0lkAzEwNzU3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMxNTM1MTcxOQR0cGNJZAMxMDc1Ng-->
 (2)
Recent Activity:
Visit Your
Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/greater_houston_grotto;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMG5scGYwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMzMTI3NTAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI1NDA1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTMxNTM1MTcxOQ-->
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 579. A good idea is checking yours at
freecreditscore.com.<http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15omk45rc/M=791726.14847541.14590405.10835568/D=groups/S=1705125405:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1315358919/L=f36bb8fc-d8df-11e0-8912-4f03c3b40b38/B=wTp1GtBDRsk-/J=1315351719528484/K=1G9qigODl1_2MLns4_Knrw/A=6475085/R=0/SIG=1309nvt92/*http:/www.freecreditscore.com/dni/default.aspx?SiteVersionID=997&sc=671266&bcd=YGROUPS_Bad579>
________________________________

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the
Yahoo! Toolbar
now.<http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15ot9s83p/M=493064.14543979.14562481.13298430/D=groups/S=1705125405:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1315358919/L=f36bb8fc-d8df-11e0-8912-4f03c3b40b38/B=wjp1GtBDRsk-/J=1315351719528484/K=1G9qigODl1_2MLns4_Knrw/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http:/us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj>

Switch to:
Text-Only<mailto:greater_houston_grotto-traditio...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
 Daily
Digest<mailto:greater_houston_grotto-dig...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
 *
Unsubscribe<mailto:greater_houston_grotto-unsubscr...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
 * Terms of Use<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
.

__,_._,___

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Oh, yes, I agree completely. Wes has an impressive caving resume and has
done so much for the caving community in general, (especially in helping
with social events!). He's certainly been caving for a lot longer than I
have. I merely included the short description so that some members of the
Houston grotto, who may not be able to get to caving events as often, would
be able to attach a face to the name.

And in my experience, us 20-somethings are usually referred to as the "young
cavers." Wes is an '84 baby, like me....and there's nothing wrong with that!
:)

-Mallory

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Fritz Holt <fh...@townandcountryins.com>wrote:

> ****
>
> Mallory,****
>
> ** **
>
> I must mention that from my personal observation, Wes may be a young guy
> but he is a most active and very accomplished caver.****
>
> ** **
>
> Fritz****
>
> ** **
>  ------------------------------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Howdy y’all!

No doubt all have heard about the wildfires in Texas.  Flat Creek, the site of
the upcoming TCR, had fires close but not on the property.  Needless to say,
Texas is dry and fire dangers are high.  At TCR this year, there WILL BE NO
FIRES AT CAMP SITES.  Also, do not plan on bring a charcoal grill for cooking.
Avoid using candles for lighting in and around tents.

Also, consider where you park as catalytic converters on cars can get very hot
and can ignite grass.  DO NOT PARK IN TALL GRASS.  It is not really hard to
avoid tall grass as there really isn’t much but do be aware of where you park.

If you smoke, DO NOT throw the butts on the ground.  Not only is this unsightly
but it is also a fire hazard.

The grass and trees are very dry.  It will not take much to start a fire and it
can quickly get out of control especially if we have any wind.

TCR generally tries to avoid rules and enforcement.  However, these rules will
be STRICTLY ENFORCED!

We also encourage everyone to bring a fire extinguisher. We hope to avoid
starting a fire but if one breaks out, prompt and immediate action may prevent
a disaster.

OK, enough gloom and doom and rulemaking...

The Texas Cavers Reunion will be the weekend of October 14-16.  Y’all are all
invited to come to the fun and festivities.  There is not much water in the
pond but there is some.  Let’s hope we get some rain between now and then.
Also, like last year, it could potentially be dusty.  Please drive slow when
you are off the pavement.

For more information and the location of Flat Creek, please visit
www.oztotl.com/tcr.

See y’all there!
Allan

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Allan,

I read in an earlier post that Flat Creek Ranch had either 300 or 500 acres. My
first TCR was there in 2005 but I don't remember much about the terrain other
than the creek bed and elevated area where many camped. Are there any ranch
roads or trails on the property where ATV's may be ridden? My little Honda
250cc four wheeler has no cat converter and does not emit sparks. If permitted,
I would like to bring it to TCR. A few others may also want to bring theirs.

Thanks,
Fritz Holt

[...]

www.oztotl.com/tcr<http://www.oztotl.com/tcr>.

See y'all there!