If exceptional drouth conditions continue, we certainly will have reason to be extra cautious about fire hazards and air pollution at TCR this year. I haven't been to Flat Creek Ranch as recently as Gill, but I have been there a number of times in the past, including both times when it was dry and dusty and times when it was wet and muddy. I generally agree with Gill's suggestions regarding dust and fire precautions and would like to add a few comments encouraging people to think about their actions and about how they can avoid unintended consequences that could harm or endanger other people.

ATVs and Other Vehicles:

Flat Creek Ranch has many dirt roads and/or established vehicle paths in the TCR area where some vehicle traffic will be necessary to access campgrounds and other facilities. Most people should be able to walk between their camp sites and event locations, but the area is large enough that some people might want or need to use wheeled vehicles. Mountain bicycles are a reasonable option for people with typical athletic ability, but there are a few steep places where you might have to use low gear or even walk a bike uphill. I can also see how ATVs or other small motorized vehicles could be useful. In fact, a Gator style vehicle is practically a necessity for the event organizers to haul heavy equipment to and from certain areas, such as hauling PA equipment to and from the stage area below the cliff. The main problem with personal ATVs is not so much the vehicles themselves as it is the way that some people use them when riding recreationally. An ATV with an effective muffler should not be any worse than a car or truck driving on the same dirt road at the same speed. In fact, the ATV probably would kick up less dust, since it's smaller. The main thing to keep in mind when driving any vehicle at TCR is to minimize noise, dust, environmental damage, and fire danger. This generally means that we should stick to established vehicle paths or roads, when possible, instead of driving over vegetation and that we should drive slowly and avoid unnecessary driving in areas where the noise or dust would adversely affect other people.

Fires and Smoking:

Because of exceptional fire danger this year, people have been cautioned not to build fires (campfires, charcoal or wood cooking fires, etc.) at TCR, unless conditions change drastically between now and then. Another significant fire hazard, which thus far has been largely neglected in TCR 2011 discussions, is smoking. Notice that the City of Austin currently has a temporary ban on both fire building and smoking in its City parks and greenbelts, because of fire hazard conditions:

   http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/park_news.cfm?nwsid=3411

I expect that Flat Creek Ranch is at least as dry as Austin's parks at this point, so similar caution would be advisable there.

I recently returned from a trip to Tennessee, during which I drove I-35 between Austin and Dallas and I-30 between Dallas and Texarkana. I've driven this route numerous times in recent years, and never before have I seen so many burned areas beside the highway. Most of these burned areas appeared to have been small grass fires that started next to the pavement and burned outward until extinguished. This is exactly the pattern one would expect from grass fires started by smoking materials carelessly discarded from the windows of passing vehicles, a reckless behavior I've witnessed many times, especially during night drives, when the sparks are conspicuous. A carelessly dropped or discarded cigarette could just as easily start a fire at Flat Creek Ranch under the current conditions. We can ask all the smokers at TCR to be extra careful this year, but realistically, how careful can we count on all of them to be, especially after they've had a few (or a few too many) beers? Better advice would be to leave the smoking materials behind and simply not smoke at TCR 2011.

Even under normal weather conditions, careless or inconsiderate smoking behavior at TCR and similar caving events often creates another significant problem, namely the air pollution of secondhand smoke. Last year, people complained about how unpleasant it was to be downwind from passing vehicles on a dusty road, since this was a source of irritating air pollution not normally encountered at TCR. Strong dust exposure can irritate the eyes, nose, sinuses, throat, lungs, etc. and can produce flu-like symptoms that persist significantly beyond the period of exposure. For many nonsmokers, secondhand tobacco smoke has similar effects, and even in low concentrations, it just plain stinks. When smoke is combined with dust, it compounds the problems, making breathing even more difficult and unpleasant than it would be with either dust or smoke alone.

An outdoor environment doesn't eliminate a secondhand smoke problem any more than it eliminates a dust problem. Breathing downwind from one or more nearby smokers can result in strong exposure, similar to being in an indoor smoking area. The only real advantage of being outdoors in this respect is that it sometimes gives people a better an opportunity to move around and stay either upwind or out of range of anyone smoking. When people are seated, eating dinner, or otherwise situated where they can't easily move, however, it only takes one thoughtless or inconsiderate smoker to create a miserable situation by smoking upwind from people who can't easily escape. For example, during the banquet at the 2011 NSS Convention, most of us were seated around large tables under an enormous open-sided tent-like shelter, which was designated as a nonsmoking area. One thoughtless smoker lit up a foul smelling cigar and sat just a few feet outside the shelter, where he assumed it would be okay to smoke, without considering the fact that all of his smoke was drifting directly into the nonsmoking area. Before long, multiple people at my table and at least two large neighboring tables were commenting to each other about how bad it smelled, until I finally went over and talked with the smoker, after which he put out the cigar. This is only one of many examples of "outdoor" secondhand smoke problems I've encountered at caving related events (such as following almost every UT Grotto meeting, when cavers here go to the extremely smoke polluted Posse East for a traditional "meeting after the meeting").

Many nonsmokers dislike secondhand tobacco smoke and are sickened by it to some degree. I'm more sensitive to it than most people, but I've known some cavers who are even more vulnerable to it than I am and who can have dangerous asthma attacks triggered by smoke. Tobacco smoke is not exactly healthy for anybody. After all, smoking killed my mother's sister, it killed my father's brother, and before I was even born, it killed my mother's father at a young age, causing hardship for his entire family. Secondhand smoke exposure during the early years of my childhood caused a lot of illness and misery for me during that period and probably contributed to certain chronic respiratory problems and to the strong tobacco smoke sensitivity I've had ever since. When smokers want to poison themselves in this manner, then, personally, I respect their right (although not their judgement) to do so. It's quite a different matter, however, when they pollute the air that other people need to breathe or when they handle smoking materials in a way that poses a fire danger to others.

If any of you feel that you can't resist smoking at TCR this year, then please be especially careful not to start a wildfire and don't smoke after drinking enough to impair your ability to be careful. Also, regardless of the weather or fire hazard conditions, please pay attention to where your smoke is going and try not to smoke upwind from anyone who doesn't want to breathe it, especially when people downwind from you are in situations where they cannot easily escape. This year, as in several past events where the Terminal Syphons performed, I'm scheduled to operate the sound system, so please be especially careful not to smoke upwind from where I'm operating the mixer board. Otherwise, I might have to leave the thing unattended in order to breathe, and I doubt that either the band or the audience would be pleased with the results. In case you are wondering, yes, I have had a few problems of this type while operating sound equipment at certain past caving events.

We've had some excellent TCRs at Flat Creek Ranch before, and with reasonable caution, I'm confident that we can make this year's TCR another success. I look forward to seeing you all there.

Rod