texascavers Digest 1 Jun 2011 16:52:27 -0000 Issue 1325

Topics (messages 17945 through 17962):

Re: Deep cave rescue happening now in eastern Tennessee multi-drop cave
        17945 by: Mark Minton
        17946 by: Geary Schindel
        17947 by: Rod Goke
        17957 by: Mark Minton
        17962 by: Geary Schindel

Crews Free Trapped Man In Sinking Cove Cave :
        17948 by: JerryAtkin.aol.com

Re: Rescue at Sinking Cove Cave
        17949 by: caverarch

Sinking Cove Successful Rescue
        17950 by: Linda Palit
        17951 by: Tim Stich
        17952 by: John P Brooks
        17953 by: Linda Palit
        17954 by: Mark Minton
        17955 by: Geary Schindel

Disregard email from last week
        17956 by: Leslie Bell

New climbing technologies
        17958 by: Rod Goke

UT Grotto Meeting Tonight
        17959 by: Gary Franklin

Re: [PBSS] 5 Mouth Dig
        17960 by: Bill Bentley
        17961 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- I can't believe this keeps happening! There have been several accidents of this nature. Why in the world wouldn't an experienced caver have put a knot at the bottom of a rope that is too short and that could potentially be confused for the correct one? And why wasn't he looking where he was going? I always look down to see what's below as I rappel, and I don't rappel so fast that I couldn't stop if there were a problem, like the end of the rope coming at me. I hope the rescue is successful and that people take note to prevent this sort of preventable accident in the future.

Mark Minton

At 07:17 PM 5/30/2011, speleoste...@aol.com wrote:
There's a big cave rescue going on in eastern Tennessee right now. I know the victim - Dirk Siron. It's Sinking Cove Cave. Forty rescuers are in the cave.What I've been told is that Dirk was doing a pull down rappel and got on the wrong rope, falling off the end of it. It appears he's got at least a broken pelvis. A friend of mine is on the scene and texting me. He's at the bottom of the second drop now, and the estimate is they'll have him out in three more hours.

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Mark,

I just heard they got him out of the cave.  Not sure of the cause of the
accident but Sinking Cove Cave is a classic multi-drop pull down trip.  Mostly
short drops with a nice exit into a truck passage in the bottom of the cave.
The Boulder entrance is the one that he entered and includes a 30 foot entrance
down climb, a 50 foot rappel, another 53 foot rappel, a 30 foot down climb, a
20 foot rappel and another 20 foot rappel to about 100 feet of stream crawl
that is pretty tight.  It appears that the accident happened at the last 20
foot drop.  Gerald Moni got stuck in the crawl below the last 20 foot drop a
couple of years ago and had to be hammered out.  I think it would be very
difficult to bring someone though this area in a stretcher.  Taking someone in
a sked up the drops and through some tight crawls would also be very difficult.
 Then you have to carry them down the mountain.  I'm sure this was no easy
rescue but the cave rescue teams in the TAG area are the best and most
experienced in the US.

I understand the guy who was injured was on the Mt. Thor rappels and has a lot
of experience.  It will probably take a couple of days to hear the details.

Geary

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

I don't know the details of what happened in the recent accident in Tennessee, but I can second what Mark said about the importance of looking down frequently and rappelling slowly enough so you can stop on short notice if necessary. This is good advice even when you think you are sure that every rope rigged in the vicinity is long enough to reach the bottom.

Back when I was a caver in Colorado, before moving to Austin, there was a serious rappelling accident that came very close to being twice as bad, by seriously injuring, or perhaps even killing, a second caver. On the way down, one experienced caver accidently cut his rappel rope, resulting in a long fall with serious injuries to himself. (Yes, cutting his rope was another one on those preventable mistakes you don't normally expect from an experienced caver.) At the top, another, somewhat less experienced, caver had been waiting his turn to rappel and was in a location where he couldn't see what had just happened below. When he saw the rope go slack, he assumed that the first caver was safely off rope at the bottom. There hadn't been any "off rope" voice signal, of course, but the caver above probably thought that the wind and weather conditions were simply too noisy for the signal to be heard, so he rigged in and began rappelling, with no thought to the possibility that the rope might no longer reach bottom. Fortunately, he did look down and was able to stop before rappelling off the end, but it was a very close call. I understand that he stopped only about a foot or two above where the rope had been cut, and he had to be helped back to the top by other cavers, since he didn't have ascending gear accessible to switch over by himself. Yes, indeed, sometimes it does pay to look where you are going!

Rod

> I can't believe this keeps happening! There have been
>several accidents of this nature. Why in the world wouldn't an
>experienced caver have put a knot at the bottom of a rope that is too
>short and that could potentially be confused for the correct
>one? And why wasn't he looking where he was going? I always look
>down to see what's below as I rappel, and I don't rappel so fast that
>I couldn't stop if there were a problem, like the end of the rope coming at me.
> I hope the rescue is successful and that people take note to
>prevent this sort of preventable accident in the future.
>
>Mark Minton
>
>At 07:17 PM 5/30/2011, speleoste...@aol.com wrote:
>>There's a big cave rescue going on in eastern Tennessee right now. I
>>know the victim - Dirk Siron. It's Sinking Cove Cave. Forty rescuers
>>are in the cave.What I've been told is that Dirk was doing a pull
>>down rappel and got on the wrong rope, falling off the end of it. It
>>appears he's got at least a broken pelvis. A friend of mine is on
>>the scene and texting me. He's at the bottom of the second drop now,
>>and the estimate is they'll have him out in three more hours.
>
>Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
>Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- It has been suggested that the accident happened because they had rigged the pull-down with a stopper knot and the guy rigged into the wrong side of the knot. In that case it wouldn't have mattered whether or not there was a knot at the end of the short side (if there was a short side), because his weight would have pulled down the rope, same as if he rigged onto the wrong side if it were tried off at the bottom on one side. Only if he rappelled with both ropes in his rack would that not be an issue, but you can't do that with a Micro Rack or a bobbin.

Mark Minton

At 10:52 PM 5/30/2011, Geary Schindel wrote:
[...]

Good points and it shows that even a very experienced caver can sometimes make
a mistake and mistakes can be very costly.  Dirk was on the team that performed
the world record rappel off of Mt. Thor in Baffin Island (4,000+ feet) and I
would bet has done numerous multi-drop pull down trips in the TAG area.  Looks
like he just plane screwed up.  Just that one second slip up is all it takes.

Couple of general comments to be made that may or may not related to the
incident.

Always check and understand your rigging, especially if you don't have a lot of
experience with the type of rigging used in the type of caving you're doing.

Make sure you know the proper use and limitations of your equipment and
techniques.

Keep an eye on everyone else's equipment and techniques.  You may learn
something and you might prevent a disaster.

I've spent my entire caving and climbing career evaluating every person's
equipment and rigging and asking the questions "Why did they do it that way"
and "What if" component "X" failed.  You will learn a lot.

Find a good mentor (or mentors) and learn all you can.  I've been doing this
for 40 years and I'm still learning things.

It is OK to walk away from a vertical cave for whatever reason, be it personal
health, physical fitness, equipment problems, comfort level with other cavers,
or just a bad feeling.  It is a lot easier to walk away than to create an
incident or a rescue.  No self respecting caver, at least the one's you want to
cave with, will question that.  Caving is a challenge by choice sport.  You
don't have to do the drop today as it will be there tomorrow.

Reminds me of the primary directive for motorcycle riding - never ride any
faster than you're willing to jump off and when you're no longer scared of it,
time to put it down.  I had to throw that in there

Take a cave rescue and wilderness first aid course.

I'm sure that other folks out there may have some additional recommendations
that have served them well over the years.

Geary

--- End Message ---
From: Tim Stich <timstic...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Sinking Cove Successful Rescue
To: "Linda Palit" <lkpa...@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: "texascavers@texascavers.com" <Texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 9:55 AM

It's funny how news agencies all report that the man was "trapped" in the cave,
which to me would indicate he had something pinning him down or that a collapse
prevented getting out of the cave. News writers really don't appreciate that
cavers are happy underground and that they put themselves there on purpose. So
being underground a little longer than planned is just perhaps inconvenient.

Maybe they could rewrite the story along those lines: "An injured 51-year-old
caver got to stay in the cave longer than expected as he was helped along by
rescuers."

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Linda Palit <lkpa...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

http://www.waff.com/story/14749749/tenn-rescue-crews-trying-to-free-man-in-cave
Link to article and info on successful Sinking Cove rescue.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Locations in TAG are much more public than in Texas--long term practice for
better or worse, and partly because there are so many caves.  Sinking Cove may
be a SCCI cave- guess I'll look that up.

Via clumsy I-thumbs

On May 31, 2011, at 10:23 AM, John P Brooks <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> The article had links to a flickr slide show of the cave. And it also had a
> link to a google map location for the cave.

It's interesting how the media distort, or more likely don't really
understand, what cavers tell them about caves and rescues. Several news
reports have stated that the rescue was taking place a couple of
thousand feet below the surface, when in fact the cave is nowhere near
that deep. What they probably meant was a couple of thousand feet of
traverse distance into the cave. I think Buddy Lane stated in one video
that it was actually about 400 feet down.

The other potentially dangerous thing one reporter said was that the
rescuers carried 22-caliber handguns into the cave to knock away rock!
I'm sure that what they really did was microblasting using 22 shells,
although I'm amazed they would do that instead of using straws. In any
event, I can just imagine a new spate of injuries as yahoos take their
guns into caves and start firing away trying to enlarge tight spots.
Sigh.

Mark Minton

>On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Linda Palit <lkpa...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>http://www.waff.com/story/14749749/tenn-rescue-crews-trying-to-free-man
-in-cave

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sinking Cove Cave is owned by a hunting club and leased and managed by the SCCI.

With more than 10,000 caves in the three state TAG (Tennessee, Alabama, and
George) area, it is hard to keep the more popular ones secret as few of the
caves have gates and many of them are on lumber company, state, or national
forest land.  For cavers, Tennessee has a very open access to the cave survey
data.  If you are a responsible caver, you can join the TCS and get a printout
of the data base that includes all the known caves, locations (lat long), and
basic information such as number of drops, horizontal length, vertical drops,
etc.  You can also get the map book with the mapped caves in the State.  I
believe the thinking is that if you provide information to cavers, then they
are more likely to get information back which is why they have more caves
recorded than any other state.  They also probably have more total caves mapped
than any other state.

The guy that was hurt is a very experience caver and I believe was on the Mt.
Thor trip which was the cliff on Baffin Island where they did almost a mile
rappel.

Geary

From: Tim Stich <timstic...@gmail.com<mailto:timstic...@gmail.com>>
To: "Linda Palit" <lkpa...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:lkpa...@sbcglobal.net>>
Cc: "texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com>"
<Texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:Texascavers@texascavers.com>>
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 9:55 AM

<lkpa...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:lkpa...@sbcglobal.net>> wrote:

http://www.waff.com/story/14749749/tenn-rescue-crews-trying-to-free-man-in-cave

Link to article and info on successful Sinking Cove rescue.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Please disregard any emails you may have received from my email address that
contains a link as the main text in the email.

Kind regards,
Leslie Bell

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Here's an interesting new technology for climbing up walls and even across ceilings with no ropes, anchor points, or handholds; not even suction cups or glue! Thus far, it's been demonstrated only with small robots climbing on relatively flat, but not necessarily smooth, surfaces. Not exactly a replacement for all your climbing ropes and bolt kits yet, but still interesting to watch:

  http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/industrial-robots/robot-uses-supersonic-jets-of-air-to-stick-to-almost-anything

If you'd prefer a technology for climbing uneven, non-flat surfaces, then watch how this robot climbs trees:

  http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/artificial-intelligence/treebot-learns-to-autonomously-climb-trees

Can caving robots be far behind (that is, for caving above water, since we know that Bill Stone already has one for caving underwater)?

;-)
Rod

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Grotto Meeting TONIGHT 7:45 - 9:00 PM
UT Campus 2.48 Painter Hall
Lydia Hernandez will be presenting
Adventures in Puerto RIco with Sport Caving and Cave Rescue Training.