"I once had polypropylene prusik slings." ...

"A major problem with polypropylene is its low melting point, 130 to 170 degrees C. You could easily get your brakebars hot enough to melt, or at least seriously degrade, polypropylene."

Bill, most of the cavers I knew who used polypropylene prusiks avoided this problem by attaching their brakebars to metal racks (or to metal carabiners in the early days) instead of attaching them to polypropylene prusik slings. That tended to make rappelling easier, too.

;-)
Rod