Lengthy but don't hit delete yet. While I was in the army at Red Canyon Range
Camp near Carrizozo, NM for NIKE missile training in the Spring of 1956, I
crawled into a couple of black lava caves and was rewarded with the view of a
beautifully colored what I believed to be a good sized salamander. It was
definitely NOT a beaded lizard. I assume there are no Gila Monsters in NM but
might their be other poisonous lizards I'm central NM? What about it, Crash?
The major east west highway between the range camp and Carrizozo to the east
had the Malpais on the north side of the highway which came right up to the
highway. Although in the army, it was a very good time in my young (21) life.
While stationed here and in El Paso in early 1956, I had some great NM
adventures. Besides touring Carlsbad Caverns for the second time (the first was
in 1947 on a kid's YMCA bus tour), I went into The Crater Of Aden and fairly
deep into Ft. Stanton Cave which was totally unrestricted at that time. In and
near El Paso, I climbed over a good portion of The Franklin Mountains and all
over the marvelous shelter caves and cliffs at Hueco Tanks which was also
totally unrestricted. My greatest adventure during this part of my army stint
was a very early 1956 two day trip into Mayfield Cave (Caverns of Sonora) with
friend Jimmy Walker, Bob Hudson and Bob's brother in law, Ralph. We crossed the
dreaded "Ledge" and went deep into the cave to view unbelievably beautiful
formations. Jimmy and I saw no evidence of human intrusion in the far reaches
of the cave visited. Some of my prized memories and possessions are the great
photographs taken in the cave by Jimmy Walker. I haven't seen it but   friend
Lyndon Tiu was at The Caverns Of Sonora saw Jimmy's picture of me looking up at
a long soda straw. It hangs in the cave's office. I have canoed the Rio Grande
from the bridge at Presidio to the one at Del Rio. All the canyons were an
unforgettable adventure. Lifelong friend, Bill Breedlove, now of Wimberley, and
I made this river journey in 1965, 66 and 67, before Amistad Dam was completed.
On the final leg of the 1967 trip between the Devil's and Pecos Rivers , south
of Comstock, we "Discovered" Goodenough Spring where it flowed into the Rio
Grande. The spring was the most desolate but also the most beautiful spot in
Texas, in my opinion although Capote Falls ranked a close second. Some
highlights of these river trips were climbing up into the shelter caves in Fern
Canyon, climbing into Outlaw Cave, both on the Mexican side of Santa Elena
Canyon and possibly best of all, climbing into the large US shelter caves just
up-river from The Pecos River. We viewed all the magnificent early American's
wall paintings and saw the large stones with concave depressions where grain
was ground. I wish I could relive it all again and not just in my memories. I
just spoke with Breedlove and we are starting a "Bucket List" which will
include some of the above items while we are still upright. Obviously, I don't
bother with paragraphs and could use some help with punctuation and
occasionally spelling.
Fritz F. Holt
fritz...@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone