We are traveling with only a tablet and my intention was to post this to the
group.

We have been traveling 19 days so far.  Visited parts of the Czech Republic,
Slovakia, and are now in Budapest.

In addition to visiting the Moravian and Bohemian karst and caves (the same
regions visited last year by those attending the International Congress in Brno
but we have been on our own schedule and generally spending more time actually
in the countryside),we have devoted time to appreciate the last 1,000 years
plus of Gothic,  Renaissance, Baroque, and more recent history of Eastern
Europe. There are beautifully restored towns of Chesty Krumlov, Telc,  and
Holasovice, some really gems hidden out in the countryside.

The large cave system of the  Moravian Karst that is partly unroofed
(hydrologically 33+ km of caves) including Punkva Cave and the Macocha Abyss is
truly impressive and on the scale we have seen in the Balkans, China, and SE
Asia.

We stayed in a small pension in the middle of the karst not far from the main
tourist cave. I had rained recently and the waters were up in the karst and the
lower levels were flooded. We did get a good feel for the hydrodynamics.

We will rent a car and head for the Aggtelek and Slovak Kast on the border of
Slovakia and Hungary, and then to the karst of Romania.

Presently in Budapest and have enjoyed several nights of fine music,  thermal
spas, and a complex of caves beneath the Buda side of the city. Some are
excavated but some are abandoned feeders to the thermal springs.

To be continued--------

Dirtdoc

Sent from Samsung tablet