Another post to the group

The Ghejar Karst Plateau is another part of the Western Apusini Mountains of
central Romania. Underlain by slightly metamorphosed limestone and complexity
faulted, it is topographically relatively high. Summits over 1,800 meters and
close to tree line.   To get there we climbed over Vartop pass and discovered a
mini-Ruidoso(NM).  Two ski lifts and a bunch of winter sports chalets.

In the town of Garda de Sus we made contact with Ciubo,  the local G. P. at the
clinic. A life-long caver and photographer, he had made arrangements for us to
stay at the Pensiunea next to the ice cave, 500 meters above the town.

Scarisoara Ice Cave contains a thick accumulation of ice that has been cored
and recently dated beyond 10,500 BP.  The cave is situated in the middle of
spectacular karstland with multiple sinking streams and a confusing
subterranean drainage.  Bogan Onac has played an important role in figuring it
out before coming to the USA.

Ciubo is a joyful great bear of a man who enthusiasticly explained it all
-------

The next day we left the karst and went to Turda, where a visit to the salt
mine is a must. The salt has been intruded and is a salt dome,so the exposed
walls are scenic and interesting. Other than that,   It's a bit hard to
describe.   Google it. Mined for 2000 years, it finally became noncommercial
and is now a fascinating underground mine tour crossed with Disney land.  They
held a big wedding there last weekend.

On to Sighisoara, Brasov (and the Real Dracula's Castle), Sibiu, and more
eastern European history. I can report seeing NO Vlad-cicles. (Rhymes with
popsicles). If that doesn't make sense,  read up on Vlad The Impailer.

Onward-------

Dirt Doc

Sent from Samsung tablet