texascavers Digest 18 Aug 2013 19:48:30 -0000 Issue 1826

Topics (messages 22453 through 22459):

Re: shaved heads
        22453 by: Missy Singleton
        22454 by: Kevin McGowan

TCMA Passages newsletter/Call for Content
        22455 by: Jay Jorden

Mallory report, 8/16/13
        22456 by: Emily McGowan

Mallory update, 8/17/13
        22457 by: Emily McGowan

virtual tour of cave
        22458 by: Mixon Bill

National Cave and Karst Management Symposium: Deadline for discount
registration ends soon
        22459 by: George Veni

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

the one line emails on this topic. You are clogging up my email box.
Thank you,
Missy

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 16, 2013, at 1:27 PM, "Don Arburn" <donarb...@mac.com> wrote:

> Ok, here goes! Keeping the beard though. I'm with ya Mal! By TCR we should be
> fuzzy again. Pics on Facebook soon...
>
> Sent cellularly.
> -Don
>
> On Aug 16, 2013, at 1:04 PM, caverarch <cavera...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> A better meaning, I hope!
>>
>> Roger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
That's my standard hair ( it lack there of ) style. ;))

Sent from mobile device
Kevin McGowan Photography
5250 Gulfton, Suite 2F
Houston TX 77081
Studio: (713) 665-3818
Cell:     (281) 433-2474

On Aug 16, 2013, at 10:47 AM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:

> Buzzed heads at TCR. We've got to get her to TCR.
> --Ediger
>

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Don Arburn <donarb...@mac.com> wrote:
>> I shaved my head a few years ago, I liked it. A lot of work to keep it that
>> way though (I still have ALL mine). Maybe I'll re-shave in support of Mal...
>>
>> Sent cellularly.
>> -Don
>>
>> On Aug 16, 2013, at 10:38 AM, Logan McNatt <lmcn...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Don wrote:  Getting her hair cut off will make Mal 'feel' a bit better. A
>>> shaved head is actually quite comfortable. It'll all come back, probably
>>> thicker than ever.
>>>
>>> Gill will be very excited to hear about that. ;-)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi, all:

The Texas Cave Management Association is seeking articles and photos for
the next issue of the Passages newsletter.
All are welcome to send material - TCMA members and visitors to TCMA
preserves alike.
We especially like trip reports about the fun times you've had recently at
Whirlpool Cave, Robber Baron, the Deep/Punkin property and/or another
preserve.
With multiple trips to these caves so far this year, there should be plenty
to write about!
The deadline is September 15 - and, yes, we can squeeze in a late entry,
too. We plan to publish in time for the TCR on  October 17-20.
Thanks in advance - and good caving!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

>From her mother:

Mallory and Rex got to see each other for the first time since the wreck.
Rex came hobbling in on his crutches. Mallory said she didn't realize Rex
was so beat up. She feels bad that he came to visit her in Houston and had
this happen to him. But Rex always says it could happen anywhere and it is
not her fault.

She continues to improve and stayed up way past her regular bedtime. Last
night she was wiped out ant in bed for 6:30 p.m. But tonight went to bed
about 9 p.m. Feeling better, but she had a good nap today. The only part of
her day she didn't like was the neurological cognitive exam. They didn't
want me in there but she says there are hard questions on the test. She
asked the examiner if people ever cried when they took the test and the
woman says yes. Mal was proud she didn't cry. The test makes you feel stupid
because you can't answer the questions.

She is so funny because she talks nonstop. Sometimes I just have to correct
her because she says wrong things but a lot of what she is saying how nice
people are, repeating things people have told her in the last week, how once
you can eat real food, they treat you like a princess. It so impresses her
they give her choices for her meals.

That's all for now.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>From her mother:

Things can get funny when you have brain impaired people around. Mallory
actually laughed for real today but told us we had to stop laughing because
her stomach peg was hurting. Apparently, the guy who was sitting in his
wheel chair next to Mal's tray, at the table where they put the dinner
trays, reached over and took Mal's cookie off her tray. Caleb's girlfriend
saw it happened but didn't realize at the time what he was doing. When Mal
goes to eat, she noticed she didn't have a cookie, mentioned it and we
figured out what happened. We started laughing about it. Then we realized he
had also taken her fork. We were all laughing so hard, she had to tell us to
stop because her poor stomach couldn't take it.

For their brain exercise, they had four of them playing Scrabble on a big
board. They also had four adults helping them. It is interesting how slow
this game can go when the thinking isn't right. Sometimes you just have to
be amused. We also had to joke with Rex that he had to be with us to get off
the floor because they would think he is one of the patients hobbling along
on his crutches.

The unit is locked down. You can't get out without an employee swiping a
card for the elevator. They want no escapes. And of course, Mal tried to
escape yesterday. She said she was bored. Steve and I had left to handle
business and she does have a sitter but when they are in the common area the
sitters do other things. Mal tells us that she tried to play it off that she
was just reading the posters. Sure sounds like those stories she told me
when she was 15. Didn't believe them then and I am sure they didn't believe
her yesterday. It's great to be at a point where you can laugh.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- An apparently elaborate virtual tour of Algar das Gralhas VII, a Portuguese cave, is at
http://www.lpn-espeleo.org/images/gralhasvii_visita_virtual
It is implemented in Flash. I haven't fiddled with it much at all, but it won Best Interactive Presentation and Best of Show awards at the recent ICS in Brno. -- Mixon
Today is the last day of your life so far.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Friends,

Many excellent papers have been submitted for this year's National Cave and
Karst Management Symposium (NCKMS), which will be held in Carlsbad, New Mexico,
USA, on 4-8 November 2013. This message is to remind you that the discounted
price for registration ends on Tuesday, 3 September 2013. I encourage you
register by that date to take advantage of the lower prices. This NCKMS
includes the most diverse array of field trips and workshops ever, plus for the
first time the proceedings will be ready for you when you arrive.

For all of the details and to register visit
http://nckms2013.businesscatalyst.com/. Please share this message with anyone
you think may be interested.

I look forward to seeing you soon,

George

********************
George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA
Office: 575-887-5517
Mobile: 210-863-5919