texascavers Digest 14 May 2013 18:37:53 -0000 Issue 1755

Topics (messages 21759 through 21770):

Re: a personal story - blog style
        21759 by: Mallory Mayeux
        21762 by: Mark Minton
        21769 by: caverarch

Texas Caver articles
        21760 by: Jill Orr
        21761 by: Mimi Jasek

Kur magazine 18
        21763 by: Mixon Bill

KIWI SINK Dig
        21764 by: Gill Edigar

update
        21765 by: Karen Perry

Bat Bomb
        21766 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

Re: Photoshop
        21767 by: Dale Barnard
        21768 by: Preston Forsythe

Re: Karst conference in spectacular Dinaric Karst
        21770 by: Geary Schindel

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
I liked your blog David! Nice to see someone so excited about a caving project.
Glad you (and your ladder) got back underground.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2013, at 10:04 PM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't see anyone post anything about the last Kiwi Sink dig, and I wanted
> to say
> some more than I previously posted, so the link below has my version of
> pieces of the events that
> took place.
>
> It is long-winded, so I thought I would try the blog style of presenting it.
>   It has been about
> 3 years since I tried blogging, so I don't know if I am doing it right.
>
> http://david-locklear.blogspot.com/
>
> Just don't click on it please, if you are not interested.
>
> I am going to try to make next Sunday's dig at Kiwi Sink.
>
> David Locklear
> caver in Fort Bend County, Texas
> 281-995-8487 ( text-line )

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Sounds like this could be fodder for a Texas Caver article. Maybe Gill and/or David could write an article about Kiwi Sink.

Mark

At 11:21 PM 5/13/2013, Mimi Jasek wrote:
Actually, Gill did post something - diggers, barrels and rocks removed etc - and since it is his project, I would imagine that all who help leave it up to the "pit boss" to post what he feels needs to be put out there for public consumption. If folks want to know more, let them come help:)

Mimi Jasek

On May 13, 2013, at 10:04 PM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:

I didn't see anyone post anything about the last Kiwi Sink dig, and I wanted to say some more than I previously posted, so the link below has my version of pieces of the events that
took place.

It is long-winded, so I thought I would try the blog style of presenting it. It has been about
3 years since I tried blogging, so I don't know if I am doing it right.

http://david-locklear.blogspot.com/

Just don't click on it please, if you are not interested.

I am going to try to make next Sunday's dig at Kiwi Sink.

David Locklear
caver in Fort Bend County, Texas
281-995-8487 ( text-line )

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Me, too, David. It was great that your ladder finally found a proper home! And
that you are enjoying the dig.

Roger G. Moore

[...]

Hay all, I'm looking for articles for the next issue of Texas Caver !

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Ok, Texas cavers, I know y'all have been going underground and going to a
convention since the last issue, so let's help Jill out. Preserve and project
managers, send in a status-trip-project report with pictures if you haven't
done so in a while. Grottos, if you've been on a great trip, tell us about it!

Being topside during the convention, we missed all the presentations. Send
something in - I would love to see an article with pics on that Honey Creek
trip! What about the TCMA Auction? Results - pics - something? For those who
couldn't be there or missed parts, fill us in!

I absolutely know there have to be some caver
poets/balladeers/storytellers/artists-cartoonists out there! Put that material
out there for us to enjoy! Don't be shy:)

The Texas Caver is our magazine, but it needs content to become something we
all can enjoy. Start typing or keyboarding or whatever you call it these days -
fb and e-mail will be there when you are done. I promise:)

Needing something to proofread!

Mimi

Sent from my iPhone

On May 14, 2013, at 12:00 AM, "Jill Orr" <jill...@swbell.net> wrote:

> Hay all, I’m looking for articles for the next issue of Texas Caver !

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Someone has the AMCS copy of Kur number 18 (from the La Venta group in Italy). Please take or send it to the UT Grotto meeting tomorrow night for me. -- Mixon
Nothing is better than complete happiness in life. A ham sandwich is better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than complete happiness in life.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Kiwi Sink Dig is scheduled for this coming Sunday, 19 May 2013, at 444
Billie Brooks Lane, Driftwood TX. We have reached a point where only 6 or 8
people can work at a time in the floor removal portion of the Project. So
we rotate diggers through work and rest sessions (or they rotate
themselves). There are still a couple of formerly unctuous silt leads that
need digging in the quest for borehole cave passage. I bought some sand
bags to build retaining walls to put the mud in if you're interested in
that sort of sport. Questions? Call me 410-303-1177--no text messages. It
may be warm. Bring water and a sandwich.
--Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here's the updated
scoop...........
I was scheduled to have surgery on the right knee
again, # 3, on this Thursday. OWCP Dept of Labor did not approve pending more
information. That request led to me having a bone scan that came
out with bad results. The surgery is now slated for the 23rd, next
Thursday. It may be a simple fix, but the doc, radiologist & I are
expecting for the not good version. That means everything that was done
last summer has to come out and be replaced. The scan also showed
infection in the prosthetic which can/may effect the heart and kidneys.

The dr. says I only have a 6 month window at getting this fixed before I either
become handicapped or end up having to possibility loose the leg. This is
only a brief description of what I may be facing. I ask  for prayers....... Not
only for me but to guide the
doctor so I can FINALLY get this damned knee fixed!!!!! If any one can
plan on coming down Carlsbad way or that is local during the recovery period,
IF it is
going to be long, and help with my Mom I would greatly appreciated that. She is
not able to drive and we do have doctor appointments lined up
for her, not to mention the daily needs that will need looking after. Gosia,
Jenny & Emily are already on line to help but I may be in need of more help.
That is yet to be seen. I
can not stress how serious this is..........
There is a possibility the knee could kill me. I am not being an alarmist here,
only realistic based on Dr report.

And just think.... all this because of  a bad supervisor out at the park who
did not want to take action at the time or do her job!
YES I am now getting VERY ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karen

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Bat Bomb

An interesting aside to this thread is that Doc Adam's son, Bill , has been
close friend for many years.   Bill ran gas station in Las Cruces, was a
skilled EMT and trainer for the New Mexico EMT system, and then was in charge
of the Professional Ski Patrol at the Sierra Blanca (now Ski Apache) ski area
in Ruidoso, NM.   He married a wonderful woman, Verna, who was raised Amish.
Verna owned a home health service in Ruidoso.   Sandy and I stayed in their
home in Capitan many nights and had business relationships with both of them,
as well as a close friendship and mutual involvement with ski patrol and EMT
work.

Bill had a lot of stories (and a few photos) from his traveling around with his
Dad as a teenager, especially in Bracken and Ney Bat Caves, locating and
collecting bats for the Bat Bomb project.   (The suggested book, Bat Bomb, is
good reading: " World War II's Other Secret Weapon, by Jack Couffer, University
of Texas Press, 1992").   Some where I have a copy of an image showing the Bill
and Doc Adams in the entrance to Bracken.

Doc Adams did have an unusual mind and a very focused purpose.   His scheme was
very well thought out and turned out to be quite effective.   The biggest
engineering problem was building an incendiary device light enough for the
little bats to carry.   The incident where some of the bats escaped at a
satellite airbase in New Mexico and burned the structures down was definite
proof positive. Without a doubt, a few bat bombs would have caused widespread,
catastrophic fires raging across the bamboo cities of Japan.

Doc Adams (nor any one without top secret clearance - and only a few of those)
did not know about the Manhattan Project and the resulting A-bomb, which
clearly (from Bill's statements) is why the Bat Bomb project was cancelled just
as it was being completed.   The US had a much better secret weapon to end the
war without years more of massive casualties.

Those concerned about the treatment of bats need to remember that this was a
desperate war in which many US men and women gave their lives.   Bracken and
Ney contained massive numbers of bats at the time.   The number of bats to be
collected for this project was miniscule by comparison with those in the caves.

As I implied above, Doc Adams was a bit on the strange side. Bills full, legal
name on his birth certificate is "Devil Bill Adams".   When Devil Bill and
Verna were married, our marriage present to them included purchasing an
ordination from one of the better-known mail-order Churches, and presented them
with a framed Certificate of Ordination proclaiming that "Reverend Devil Bill
Adams" had all the ministerial authority necessary to perform marrials and
burials, and all other Church business as allowed by Law.   Devil Bill and
Verna both though this was just great, and they had the certificate prominently
displayed on top of their TV in Capitan.   That was all well and good, until
Verna's Mom (a very devout Amish woman) visited, and they had failed to put the
certificate away.

DirtDoc

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Nice little video clip about the bat bomb scheme (but a pox on people
> who put ads in front of videos that can't be skipped, at least in no
> way that was obvious to me). There is a whole book about it: Bat Bomb:
> World War II's Other Secret Weapon, by Jack Couffer, University of
> Texas Press, 1992. The weapon was never used, perhaps because 500-
> bomber raids with conventional incendiaries proved to do the job just
> fine, or perhaps because there was another secret weapon in the
> wings.... -- Mixon

http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=4&from=en-us_msnhp#/video/a028c91e-8f5e-43bf-a6a3-4fa70c9f4613

See also 50 Years of Texas Caving , page 22, first paragraph.

“The story of Dr. Lytle S. Adams and what was eventually named “Project X-Ray”
is truly a Texas-size tale.   Briefly, the time was 1942-1943, the US was at
war with Japan and the idea was to capture bats, attach incendiary devices and
release them over strategic areas of Japan.   The bats would take refuge
wherever they could and the resulting simultaneous fires would wreak havoc on
the enemy.   It is reported that the search for the largest concentrations of
suitable bats included 1,000 caves and 3,000 mines.   Eventually, Bracken and
Ney caves were selected as best suited and their entrances were screened to
collect the free-tailed bat, Tadarida mexicana .   This bat, weighing only
one-third ounce, was selected for its ability to carry a bomb-load of one
ounce.   Although never put into action against Japan, the idea was proven
viable when a couple of bomb-equipped bats escaped and the resulting fires
burned most of a military installation near Carlsbad, New Mexico.”

===Carl Kunath

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I drew the Kiwi Sink map using Inkscape. I like the app a lot, and I like
the fact that it's open source, but it did crash at least 50 times while
working on the map. The saving grace is that it does a great job of
creating a backup of your project when it detects that it has crashed.
Crashing was inconvenient, but I never lost a bit of work. I just kept
having to go delete the primary file and rename the backup to be the
primary and then continue.

I think that the main reason it crashes it that I had embedded a bunch of
300 dpi sketch notes in the document, making it rather large. Perhaps if
you link to files rather than embedding them, it won't crash as much. I'll
try that next time.

Dale

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> Yes, I wanted it to go out to everyone. The important part is the link to
>> Adobe. They have a Q&A that answers all the questions and clears up
>> misconceptions.
>>
>> I started with Adobe Photoshop when it  was only written for the
>> Mac,version 2.0, an never paid more than $199 for an upgrade. To me, being
>> unemployed is an outrage.
>>
>> I am currently using CS3 as it is the only version I am able to use on my
>> Mac G5, I bought CS6 last year, for $199, and will use it when I upgrade to
>> a new Mac Pro Desktop. Apple keeps promising a new Mac Pro.
>>
>> I am running CS6 on my wife's Macbook Pro and there are NO problems.
>>
>> You are out of luck as Adobe cut off an upgrade from CS3 to CS6. You will
>> have to go to the cloud or buy the full version of CS6 as a new customer.
>> This was why I bought CS6  upgrade as I knew Adobe was about to cut it off.
>> For once I got lucky :)
>>
>> Those jerks that download pirated versions of Photoshop is one of the
>> main reasons Adobe moved to rental. They are making all of us pay for
>> steeling software.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>  From: Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>
>>> Date: May 13, 2013 2:02:22 PM CDT
>>> To: James Jasek <caver...@hot.rr.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Photoshop
>>>
>>> James (only) -- Not sure whether you meant to send that link about the
>>> Adobe Creating Suite rental scheme to the whole Texas Cavers list or not.
>>> If there's been an inquiry about it there, I didn't see it. (Sometimes I
>>> think I don't get quite all the posts.)
>>>
>>> Seems like not such a bad deal, really. I bought CS3 for over $2100 back
>>> in 2007 (would have been more if I'd bought a more complete suite of
>>> programs, including the web stuff). True, I've used it for 5.5 years, but
>>> I'm still stuck with CS3, not the latest versions. And it would have taken
>>> me almost 4 years to pay that amount at the rate of $50 a month, so I'm not
>>> terribly far ahead of where I'd have been had I been paying subscription
>>> all this time. (No doubt the list price of the more recent versions has
>>> gone up, too, and I doubt there's much of an upgrade discount from CS3 for
>>> CS7.)
>>>
>>> And since I've been stuck with CS3, I haven't upgraded my Mac system to
>>> OS 10.6 (Lion) because I heard that some of the CS3 programs have at least
>>> cosmetic problems with the newer operating system. That sort of thing
>>> wouldn't arise with a subscription that allows one to upgrade at no extra
>>> cost.
>>>
>>> But then I know people who have the whole latest version for nothing.
>>> Not hard to find on the web programs that will unlock pirated versions from
>>> disk. I imagine people will figure out how to patch subscription versions
>>> so that they'll continue to run after you stop paying, too.
>>>
>>> If there has been a significant thread about this on Texas Cavers, feel
>>> free to post this if you want to. -- Bill Mixon

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Please submit map and article to the Texas Caver.

Preston

        From: Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>
        Date: May 13, 2013 2:02:22 PM CDT
        To: James Jasek <caver...@hot.rr.com>

[...]