texascavers Digest 22 May 2013 20:47:04 -0000 Issue 1762

Topics (messages 21834 through 21839):

Re: News report on threat to Bracken Bat Cave
        21834 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        21835 by: Phil Winkler
        21837 by: Stefan Creaser
        21838 by: Jon

architecture students and NSS headquarters
        21836 by: Mixon Bill

Bad music, good topos
        21839 by: BMorgan994.aol.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Very true, George. I hadn't thought of that.

Mark

 From: Phil Winkler <pw...@dca.net>
It's not easy. Most of them are just winging it. Some got bridge loans,
too.

At 5/22/2013 02:31 PM -0500, Bill Bentley wrote:

How can those bats afford to
live in that high rent area?
>Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
>

>mark.al...@l-3com.com wrote:
>
>Thanks for the interesting post, George.
>

>I do have one question, though, and I am NOT picking sides here:
>

>What� the difference between houses �00 to 900�yards away from the
Bracken Cave entrance and bats living under the Congress Street Bridge in
Austin, smack dab in the middle of downtown Austin?

>The Austin colony seems to be functioning fine and thriving, may I say,
growing? And the buildings (read �igh rises� are much closer than 800
to 900 yards.

>Just playing dumb here, so please don� advocate having me drawn and
quartered and left in a pile of guano!

>Inquiring minds just want to know.
>

>Your thoughts?
>

>(I� ducking under a table now)
>

>Mark Alman (not Minton)   J

05/22/13

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I ran across a large, undated report by architecture students (I assume) at the University of Michigan containing proposals for a new NSS headquarters in the Mammoth Cave area. It is available from

http://www.lulu.com/shop/underground-studio/underground-studio-research-book-final/ebook/product-17352796.html

Looks like an entertaining example of promoting a location and an exercise in designing buildings for an unusual purpose. The price is only 99 cents for PDF file, but you'll have to go through the hassle of registering for a lulu.com account. I can provide a copy to anyone interested. The NSS has since, of course, opted to move to a new location in Huntsville. -- Mixon
Not very tall is not the opposite of very tall.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm a fully credentialed hippie who went to the 67 convention on my  way to
California for the "summer of love" and despite that I loathe the Doors,
Deep Purple and all other such music for idiots.

On my last trip to Thailand I was literally driven out of paradise by
pseudonegro Thai Rastas who competed with each other by blasting reggae, hip
hop, and tekno music so loudly that the auditory assault could be heard miles
away. Tropical karst often features vertical cliffs which echo the sound.
Combine that with unmuffled generators and barking dogs. There was no escape
 wherever I went in southern Thailand. If there was a beach anywhere in the
 vicinity, or even flat ground to camp on, the entire place would be
covered with  garbage and the air filled with intolerable noise.

It didn't use to be that way. When I first visited Thailand people were
very respectful and would never play loud music that could be heard by others.
 Then access to TV allowed the worst aspects of global culture to spread
like a  disease. I saw the same thing happen in Belize.

Here at Weazelworld there is blissful silence. The closest road is over a
mile away. In the winter I can hear the highway but in summer I hear only
the  sounds of nature. I will not tolerate noise and cannot understand how
people can  live in cities. If I visit someone and they leave the TV on in the
background I  leave. If I am in a bar and there are two competing sources of
music I  leave. I'm headed into to town right now to buy new fluorescent
lights  because the old ones make a faint hum.

Once it is quiet and no one is yapping like a poodle then it is time to
listen to some music. I like all kinds of music other than disco and its
derivatives such as pop and hip hop. One of my favorites is to burn a big fat
one then listen to equally stoned pigmies sitting around in the jungle
beating on logs with sticks while whooping and hollering. Now that's a  party!

As for superimposing topos onto to google earth just forget it. A much
better way is to use _Acme Mapper 2_ (http://mapper.acme.com/)  which  uses
google earth imagery but you can also toggle back and forth to a seamless  topo
at the same scale (provided you are looking at someplae within the US).
Another good thing is the terrain feature which works for the entire world, it
 is grossly inaccurate but really good for seeing the big picture. There
are  other options as well. It requires no download, just open it up and bingo
there  you are. It will remember where you last visited anywhere on earth
and open back  up to the same spot. The only downside is that it is not
interactive like google  earth, no tracks, no tilting or other fancy gizmos,
but
for finding places to  explore it is the best!

Sleazeweazel

ps: The loudest noise I have ever been subjected to was the time I set up
my tent in Dapper Don Broussard's back yard when he lived by the freeway in
Austin. It was about 110 degrees at midnight and the ground shook
continuously  from the semis that were only a few feet away but I very much
appreciated the  great hospitality!

--- End Message ---