Has any body thought about what it will be like living under the flight path of a few million bats.  "Back inside, honey, because the Fertizer Express is about to make another run on our house."  "But aren't the flowers wonderful."  "They would be, if I could see them under that 6 inches of bat sh*t.  Two runs, one in the morning and one at night.  We shouldn't have bought this darn house.  I think that the roofs going to collapse."
Mike

On 5/22/2013 2:37 PM, mark.al...@l-3com.com wrote:

Very true, George. I hadn’t thought of that.

Mark

From: George Veni [mailto:gv...@nckri.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:31 PM
To: Alman, Mark @ ESG - WSS - IRP; Texas Cavers; New Mexico Cavers
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] News report on threat to Bracken Bat Cave

Mark,

That’s a good and fair question. It also ties more into biology so I’ll defer to Jim Kennedy to answer more authoritatively than I can as a hydrogeologist. However, in the comments I sent to the San Antonio City Council I pointed out that the high-density development is also over the Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone. Such developments have been demonstrated to diminish the volume of water replenishing the region’s primary water supply as well as having a much greater risk of degrading the quality of the water. While bats are getting the emphasis, this type of development is also bad for people who rely on the Edwards.

George

********************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919