This unauthorized post is for cavers who have never seen Kiwi Sink, and to
possibly
encourage a new caver to come join the fun.    Disclaimer:   I do not have
permission
to re-post the 2 links shown below.

This is old news, but I am sitting here 196 miles away from the sinkhole,
reminiscing about the previous digs.     I think the last dig was the best
one
 in the past 3 months.    However, I had more fun digging when the
weather was cool.   I have seen the floor of the entrance pit drop about 5
feet
overall in the past 3 months, and in places about 7 feet.

The video below was uploaded by Karstwalker 18 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvJWZnocDaE

Where the 8 foot ladder is shown, there is now a 20 foot ladder sitting at
the top
of the floor, and it is all downslope from there.   ( Except there is a
large mound of flowstone in
the middle of the floor of the pit. )

Behind the ladder, is a passage that you can bellycrawl down into nearly 5
feet. Large
rocks around that lead will be removed on the next dig, so that digging
will become more
efficient on that lead.    It would be my guess that digging will progress
in that lead when the
fall digs start back up, and that surveyable passage will be found in that
lead someday.   It seems to
be above the area on Dale's map ( see link below ) that reads, "breakdown
choke with
fresher air than most of cave."    So maybe the diggers are just removing
the ceiling of that
digging lead from above ?

In the floor around the ladder, are several extra-large size rocks, but you
can see tiny
voids underneath them going down at least a foot or more.     It would
seem like the next trip, those rocks will get hauled out.   If so, the
entrance drop will
be 20 feet deep.    A wild guess would be there is at least
16 more feet of rock and dirt at that spot ( plus or minus 10 feet ),
meaning the pit could
someday be a 26 to 46 foot rappel ( on the high side ).

180 degrees opposite the ladder, is the open passage going steeply down
into the
lower part of the known cave.

I am looking forward to seeing a future waterfall video, if someone gets a
chance
to film one.     How much rain do you need in order to get a video like
that ?
Is there any other way to determine which way the water really flows ?
Like putting a
garden hose down there ?

David Locklear

Ref:

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=71f4577f0b&view=att&th=13ec73bf1607ee6c&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_HZIuLtDLeBlc_tuBzgWzd&sadet=1373346917401&sads=fRXwGQ7YHp_NNGpZhsHsZsSgwrc