From: Preston Forsythe [mailto:pns_...@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:25 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com; Mark Minton
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] cave rescue in Arkansas

Be very careful using a knife on rope. Some of you will remember the
demonstration on stage at a UTG meeting around 1977, when Steven Bittinger, I
think it was, gave a demonstration on rope hanging only a foot or two above the
stage floor, where he took a knife and barely touched the rope above him, with
the rope fully loaded with his weight. The rope was cut instantly and he hit
the floor. Whether you are flicking a pebble out of your cam-actually never had
that happen, or cutting your pony tail out of your rack, please be careful. I
suggest letting all of your hair pull out of your scalp without using a knife
is safer but painful, because I have had that happen, but not as painful as
what could happen if the rope was cut.

Preston in KY