Popo at 17, 886 ft. asl, has been erupting, more or less, non-stop since Dec. of 1994, when Paul Fambro and I made our first attempt to climb it. Of course, the volcano activity has really been non-stop for centuries, but the last month-6 weeks it has been in the news many times. This makes the near-by volcano of Izta, at 17, 159 ft. asl also too hot to handle as the normal route to either uses the Paso de Cortez for access. If interested in climbing, Secor's Climbing Guide to the Mexico's Volcanoes is the key reference. Pico de Orizaba several hours to the east is open, at 18, 490 ft. and when we were blocked from Popo, that is what we climbed. Then, the following year we came back and did Itza, as Popo was still closed. The climbing season for all three is from Dec. to March. More info is available, but those are all high adventures, although overall, considered easy altitude, if you take your time acclimating, and perhaps do La Malinche, at 14, 600 ft. as a warm up.

I plan a month long Colorado trip in Aug.-Sept. doing 14ers in the Rockies if anyone is interested. We will spend considerable time in the Longs Peak area then move west doing 14ers off I-70, then the Lake City area, and end with La Blanca near the Great Sand Dunes.

Preston from the interior dissected plateaus of the low lands of KY....see you at the PA convention

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mixon Bill" <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>
To: "Cavers Texas" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2013 11:14 AM
Subject: [Texascavers] Popocatepetl

From Huffington Post an hour ago:
MEXICO CITY -- An airport serving Mexico's fourth-largest city suspended operations for seven hours because of volcanic ash from the Popocatepetl volcano.

The international airport in Puebla was temporarily closed as a precautionary measure, said Puebla airport spokesman Herbert Lopez Palma.

Palma said the airport re-opened after the ash stopped falling and the airstrips were cleaned up.

The temporary closure affected six domestic and international flights to Houston and Dallas, Texas.

The airport is east of Mexico City and about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from the 17,886-foot (5,450-meter) volcano.

At the Mexico City airport, Alaska Airlines on Friday canceled its daily flight to and from Los Angeles.

Authorities said this week that a lava dome is growing inside the crater and could cause further eruptions.

--Mixon
God created the world in six days. On the seventh day, while God rested, the Devil created religion.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org