I will explain below why this is a post some cavers will find of interest.

This is only for people planning to buy a new phone this year,

On my recent trips to Kiwi Sink, my fancy smartphone from Cricket Wireless
could not even send a text message once I left the town of Kyle.

The diggers who had an AT&T phone could place calls at the bottom of the
entrance drop, 28 feet below the surface.

Obviously, there are safety advantages to having cell service, especially
in a mining operation, but I also needed to stay in contact with my
business and my family.

So I went to AT&T and purchased an inexpensive but powerful phone.   I left
the store only paying $ 108.

There is a lot of hoopla and hype about smartphones.    I encourage you to
try the newest LG Optimus Pro G.

The huge 5 inch screen allows you to see cave maps in detail.   Dale's map
of Kiwi looks fantastic on this phone.

The NSS Google+ Page and Community Page look awesome.

The calendar, and caving videos work excellent, as does Google Maps.

The new version of operating system is the best I have ever seen.

There are 2 drawbacks.   1.  The choice for a protective case is lame.
2.   Data plan is expensive.

So I am keeping my Cricket phone and tethering the AT&T to use Cricket's
cheaper data charges ( obviously not while at Kiwi Sink).

Other advantages to a 5 inch screen are playing games like: FreeCell,
Solitaire, Angry Birds, Pinball, etc., but also videos, and showing off
your photos, larger app icons, and text.

I have only owned the phone 24 hours, so I can not comment on the
durability or reliability of the brand, LG.

For more details, about this specific phone, email me privately in about a
week.

David Locklear