Coincidental to R.D. Milhollin's message last night:

Enclosed in today's Austin American-Statesman newspaper is the October issue of /Athlon Sports (America's Premier Sports Publisher)./ Their feature article is "SPOOKED: What Scares Pros Most", with quotes from professional athletes. Here's what Hal Gill of the Nashville Predators (National Hockey League) said:

"Bats. I don't like bats. I used to do siding and painting in high school and college. I was on a ladder and a bat came and slapped my face. They don't know where they're going. They are blind. They just come by and get in your hair. They're nasty."

Sounds like a classic opportunity for some educational outreach by Bat Conservation International! Jim, please forward to the appropriate BCI person. I don't fault the newspaper or Athlon Sports, or even the player who is just repeating common myths. Perhaps the next article should be titled : SPOOKED: What Scares Bat Conservationists the Most".

Logan

P.S.  Those of you in contact with TAG cavers, please forward to them.  Thanks.