I started caving in Nevada and I can attest to the arid climate and also
low evening temperatures.

On a brighter note a number of of caves near Ely  directly correlate to to
several Texas classics for example:

Baker Creek System - This is the longest cave system in the state of
Nevada, it is a river cave with an awesome mud slide and scalloped walls to
admire. Aka Honey Creek.

Wipple(sp?) -  this cave is a great introduction to verticle caving with a
short (-150ish) entrance drop and a long borehole passage that extends
roughly halfway through the cave until it nearly chokes and then the going
gets a lil tougher. Aka Deep & Punkin Caves.

Leviathan -  This cave is a monstrous collapse and is also a significant
hike to get to and thinking about it I do not know of any caves in Texas
which can really compare... On another note while hiking up to this cave
you pass a large bomb which did not detonate when dropped by the airforce.

I make no claim that these caves will be open and or advertised during the
Ely Convention I just thought I would give you all am idea that there is
definitely a reason to get underground at this convention.

Herman