Subject: Fw: News from the Conservation Lands Foundation

Everyone:  we have all seen the Newspaper clip that I forwarded to you before,
however the Conservation Lands Foundation picked this up as well because I also
forwarded to them for their national Newsletter.  Always good to see our Caves
and the dedicated volunteers recognized.

Lynda Sanchez

From: Conservation Lands Foundation
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:50 AM
To: diamond...@pvtn.net
Subject: News from the Conservation Lands Foundation

                                               Weekly News Clips

                  Our Mission:

                   To protect, restore and expand the National Conservation
Lands through education, advocacy, and partnerships.
                  _____________

                  Quick Links

                  CLF Homepage

                  Contact Us

                  Pictures of the Conservation Lands

                  ____________

                  Become a Friend of the Conservation
                   Lands on Facebook!

                  _________________
           In This Issue- Weekly News Clips -- December 5, 2012
                        Protecting Public Lands is Key to the West's
Competitive Advantage
                        Long past time to protect Gold Butte
                        A hidden playground: Dominguez Canyon full of beauty,
history
                        Report on status of San Pedro to be presented Wednesday
                        Photos, essays offer glimpse of NPRA complexity
                        A monumental danger
                        Fort Stanton Cave Study Project honors two with Caver
Hall of Fame awards

                        Protecting Public Lands is Key to the West's
Competitive Advantage

                        Conservation Lands Foundation blog

                        12/5/12

                        For those of us who live and work near our National
Conservation Lands, we know the inherent value of having these amazing places
protected for future generations. In fact a recent poll this summer showed that
nine-in-ten Westerners agree that public lands, including "national parks,
forests, monuments, and wildlife areas" are an essential part of their state's
economy. So it's nice to see this feeling confirmed through economic research.
A new report by Headwaters Economics entitled West Is Best: How Public Lands in
the West Create a Competitive Economic Advantage shows that protected public
lands provide western states with a competitive economic advantage.

                        Read More>>

                        Long past time to protect Gold Butte

                        Las Vegas Sun

                        12/1/12

                        Monday's op-ed column about the Gold Butte area,
"Protecting Gold Butte would help tourism," highlighted the many important
values of this unique area. A recent survey of Clark County residents showed
that two-thirds of them agree that it should be protected.

                        Ideally by now, our congressional delegation would have
introduced legislation to designate Gold Butte as a National Conservation Area.
Since that hasn't happened, perhaps it is time for President Barack Obama to
accede to the will of the people by establishing it as a national monument.

                        Read More>>

                        A hidden playground: Dominguez Canyon full of beauty,
history

                        Coloradoan

                        12/1/12

                        The Dominguez Canyon Wilderness, located west of U.S.
50, near Grand Junction, is a 66,280-acre expanse located within the
Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area. Established in 2009 as part of
the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, the Dominguez Canyon Wilderness
is the largest roadless area managed by the Bureau of Land Management in the
state.

                        Read More>>

                        Report on status of San Pedro to be presented Wednesday

                        Sierra Vista Herald

                        12/1/12

                        A final report on the condition of the San Pedro River
by the Bureau of Land Management and the National Riparian Service Team will be
presented Wednesday, Dec. 4, from 5-8 p.m. at the Sierra Vista Police
Department's training room.

                        The report will cover each of the 10 reaches of the
river, an overview on its current condition and ways the river may be helped.

                        The report represents the culmination of days in April
spent hiking public lands within the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation
Area (SPRNCA) along the river from the Mexican border to St. David to assess
the reaches that covered some 51 miles and months of studying and discussing
the results.

                        Read More>>

                        Photos, essays offer glimpse of NPRA complexity

                        The Arctic Sounder

                        11/30/12

                        A recently released book of photography and essays aims
to document the richness of the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska, a richness
its authors and photographers say goes far beyond the potential oil reserves
beneath its tundra.

                        Read More>>

                        Conservationists: Mobilize in defense of American
Wilderness Act

                        Alaska Dispatch

                        11/30/12

                        Conservationists and wilderness enthusiasts across
America are mobilizing to defeat a bill passed by the House of Representatives
in April that would eviscerate the 1964 Wilderness Act. Deceptively entitled
the Sportsmen's Heritage Act, the bill (H.R. 4089) purports to protect hunting,
fishing, and recreational shooting. The bill is being pushed by powerful groups
like the National Rifle Association and Safari Club International and supported
by some of the most anti-wilderness Republicans in Congress. And it would
effectively gut the Wilderness Act and protections for every wilderness in
America's 110-million-acre National Wilderness Preservation System - everywhere
from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota to the
Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness along the Montana-Idaho border that I can see from
my home.

                        Read More>>

                        A monumental danger

                        High Country News

                        11/30/12

                        Thomas Hulen, executive director ofFriends of the
Sonoran Desert National Monument, doesn't like all the negative publicity.
"Mostly what we hear in the news is the problems with smuggling," he said, "and
people are afraid to go down there because of this issue." He doesn't think
people should be scared of visiting public lands, so his group is staging a
series of hikes and trash clean-ups in the area designed to "show our elected
officials and the smugglers we will not be intimidated and that we demand to
access and enjoy our public land heritage," according to a post on the group's
website.

                        Read More>>

                        Fort Stanton Cave Study Project honors two with Caver
Hall of Fame awards

                        Ruidoso Free Press

                        11/20/12

                        During the 2012 fall expedition of the FSCSP, two world
renowned cavers and scientists were honored for their contributions, expertise,
years of dedication, creativity and research to help better understand the
unique history and geo-hydrology of world class Fort Stanton Cave. Part of the
BLM's National Conservation Area system, this particular NCA was established in
2009 as a result of a major push to preserve the cave and its surroundings
after the 2001 breakthrough and discovery of Snowy River Passage.

                        Read More>>

                  What did I miss?  Please send stories on the National
Conservation Lands to
                  da...@conservationlands.org

      Forward email

            This email was sent to diamond...@pvtn.net by
da...@conservationlands.org |
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.

      Conservation Lands Foundation | 160 E. 12th Street | Suite 2 | Durango |
CO | 81301