texascavers Digest 6 Dec 2012 20:47:53 -0000 Issue 1674

Topics (messages 21093 through 21100):

Re: El Paso Cave Man
        21093 by: Louise Power
        21095 by: Scott Boyd
        21096 by: Alberto Barud

Re: end of the world
        21094 by: Steve Keselik

Results of testing for Chagas in Kissing bugs in Texas
        21097 by: Geary Schindel
        21098 by: rafal kedzierski
        21099 by: Geary Schindel
        21100 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
What does Texas law say about living in a cave? Is it on private or public land
(although there's almost no public land in Texas). Is he damaging the cave? (I
guess rubbing up against the walls and speleothems is damage.

From: pns_...@bellsouth.net
To: Texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 16:58:58 -0600
Subject: [Texascavers] El Paso Cave Man

Here is some Yahoo news from west Texas.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/cave-man-el-paso-texas-144559675.html

Preston in KY

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I haven't lived in El Paso in about 35 years, but if I remember correctly,
McKelligon Canyon is a city park IN El Paso, not "outside El Paso". That
would be public land, right?

Scott

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  What does Texas law say about living in a cave? Is it on private or
> public land (although there's almost no public land in Texas). Is he
> damaging the cave? (I guess rubbing up against the walls and speleothems is
> damage.
>
>  ------------------------------
> From: pns_...@bellsouth.net
> To: Texascavers@texascavers.com
> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 16:58:58 -0600
> Subject: [Texascavers] El Paso Cave Man
>

> Here is some Yahoo news from west Texas.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/cave-man-el-paso-texas-144559675.html
>

> Preston in KY

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I am from Juarez Mexico and know the area fairly well. McKellygon Canyon is
within the Franklin Mountains State Park, managed by TPWD. However there is
a lot of surrounding private land not very suitable for development due to
high topographic relief.  Perhaps this guy is living in one of those areas.

That is inexpenssive housing, for sure...

Dr. Beto Barud

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Scott Boyd <scottd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't lived in El Paso in about 35 years, but if I remember correctly,
> McKelligon Canyon is a city park IN El Paso, not "outside El Paso". That
> would be public land, right?
>
> Scott
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  What does Texas law say about living in a cave? Is it on private or
>> public land (although there's almost no public land in Texas). Is he
>> damaging the cave? (I guess rubbing up against the walls and speleothems is
>> damage.
>>
>>  ------------------------------
>> From: pns_...@bellsouth.net
>> To: Texascavers@texascavers.com
>> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 16:58:58 -0600
>> Subject: [Texascavers] El Paso Cave Man
>>

>> Here is some Yahoo news from west Texas.
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/cave-man-el-paso-texas-144559675.html
>>

>> Preston in KY

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Are you offering?Should be plenty there if you're willing to hike for
it,at least you'll feel like you're dead for the first hour or
so,then.................!

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Benjamin Yasui <benya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Who's bringing the Kool-aid?
>

> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> I think the Mayans, like most of the American Indians, were not
>> usually in too much of a hurry. Take you time with the celebrating.
>> I'm going casual for this one.
>> --Ediger
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Steve Keselik <skese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm pretty sure this is a multi day event so take your pick

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Folks,

Back in June, I collected four kissing bugs from the Deep and Punkin preserve
in Edwards County, Texas.  This was in support of some research being conducted
by the National School of Tropical Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine.  Two
of the bugs were captured in the cabin and two were captured around the porch
areas.  Here is the email recently sent to me by Kristy Orsburn Murray a
researcher at Baylor.

We finally were able to develop and establish the PCR for testing the insects
for Chagas.  We ran the PCRs yesterday.  I wanted to let you know that 3 of the
4 kissing bugs were positive, including the blood fed triatomine.  It was still
alive when we received it, and it had defecated in the Ziploc baggie. We took
the feces separate from the insect and also ran PCR, and the feces was
positive.  This was the insect that said it was found under a rug in one of the
cabins.  We are running a blood meal analysis on it to see if we can identify
the source of the blood meal.  If human, do you know who was in that cabin at
the time of the collection?  Perhaps we should test those of you who might be
exposed to these insects.  With such a high percentage positive, the risk for
transmission of Chagas could be high.
Let me know if you have any questions.  We are happy to help.
Best wishes
Kristy

I suspect that the results from the bugs collected at the Deep Cabin are not
unique to south Texas and that many of these bugs are positive.  I have five
additional bugs from Bexar County that will be submitted for testing.  Chagas
is not a nice disease and I suspect that a number of cavers who have camped out
in the hill country over the years have been exposed. Below are some links on
Chagas information.

It is a personal decision on whether you should get tested and where and how
you sleep. I'm sure this will create some lively discussions.

Geary Schindel

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Chagas-disease-carrier-may-be-threat-in-Texas-3650719.php
 (From San Antonio Express News)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagas_disease            (From Wikipedia)

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/           (From Centers for Disease
Control)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chagas-disease/DS00956          (From Mayo
Clinic)

http://www.who.int/topics/chagas_disease/en/         (From World Health
Organization)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Just throwing gas on the fire of complexity of life, I just want to point out
that Trypanosoma cruzi or causitive factor in Chagas disease is not only
trypanosome in the environment. Most of them are not directly harmful to H.
sapiens. Therefore, before anyone jumps to any conclusion, how specific is the
PCR used by Baylor College of Medicine for Trypanosoma cruzi? Where PCR primers
used for detection tested against other related protozoa? Have the primers
withstood the test of clinical practice?

Rafal Kedzierski
DFW caver

From: gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:18:40 -0600
Subject: [Texascavers] Results of testing for Chagas in Kissing bugs in Texas

[...]

Rafal,

I've forward your question to Krista and told her I would be happy to post a
response.

Thanks,

Geary

From: gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org<mailto:gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org>
To: texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:18:40 -0600
[...]

Geary,

Could you or Rafal list the symptoms here?

Thanks,

Mark