From: bmorgan...@aol.com [mailto:bmorgan...@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:39 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Triatoma

The three months Ann and I recently spent in the high west were an interbugnum,
one of those rare times in our lives when nothing was biting us. We arrived
back home in Florida to discover that the entire inside of our house had turned
blue and our bed was a pustulent pulsating blue green blob. I stripped off the
sheets in horror and was enveloped in a choking cloud of spores that almost
induced anaphylactic shock. I yanked the windows open and ran out onto the
porch to gasp for air and get a fan.

Hours later I ventured back in to put on new sheets. We were exhausted from
having slept on the ground for the previous three months so it was time for bed.

When I awoke I was still groggy from antihistamines, jet lag, and spore induced
bronchitis. As I staggered over to my stack of tee shirts (also blue from mold)
I felt something on my neck which I supposed to be a spider so I brushed it off
but when I looked down at the floor there was nothing there. I thought that was
odd because at Weazelworld spiders and humans live in perfect harmony, they
never bother me and I never bother them. But where was the spider?

About twenty minutes later while drinking my coffee I gradually became aware of
a terrible itch on the back of my neck. I had been scratching at it for several
minutes before even being aware of what I was doing. I had clawed my skin raw
where half a dozen angry red welts were rapidly rising on my neck. Dr. Ann
confirmed what I already supposed, that I had been fed upon by one or more
Triatoma sanguisugas.

They live in pairs and may even be monogamous. They had a very good meal so
they have gone to tend their brood and haven’t been back. But they are still
out there and they will be back.

Sleaze