texascavers Digest 12 Dec 2012 13:56:47 -0000 Issue 1679

Topics (messages 21134 through 21142):

Re: Crystal Skull Lawsuit
        21134 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net
        21135 by: Bill Steele
        21136 by: BMorgan994.aol.com

KIWI SINK Dig Report for Sunday 9 December 2012
        21137 by: Gill Edigar

Re: Question about swifts at El Aguacero, Chiapas
        21138 by: Mixon Bill

WNS
        21139 by: Josh Rubinstein

TSS work session tomorrow
        21140 by: Ron Ralph

Research on stricken bats may help AIDS fight
        21141 by: Mixon Bill

Webinar Invitation: Join us for "The Mysteries of Easter Island Caves"
        21142 by: Geary Schindel

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
PS - 7 PM tonight in Denver - Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull ----------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm an IU alumnus. Go Hoosiers!

Bill

Sent by iPhone

On Dec 9, 2012, at 5:39 PM, dirt...@comcast.net wrote:

PS - 7 PM tonight in Denver - Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull ----------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Crazier and crazier.
And to  think that I have often been criticized by fellow cavers for
entering caves in  Belize without the permission of the Department of
Archeology!
By the way,  if you want to see a real crystal(ized) skull I recommend the
one in the Grutas  de Juxtlahuaca.
Sleaze

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
KIWI SINK Dig report for Sunday 9 December 2012--Terry and I pulled
one large rock out on Saturday afternoon to  make sure everything was
working right. Then Sunday morning we, which now included Ernie,
pulled about another 8 rocks out, some two at a time. By the time that
was done the winch was hot and most everybody else had shown up. Our
concentration of energy was to get the floor lowered so we could focus
on digging down the side-wall of the cave at a later date to find
going passage. One crawl way dig to the north is still fairly low
difficult of access. Once the floor level is lower we can start
pushing that lead in more earnest. With 5 or 6 people working in the
hole 6 barrels were rapidly filled and the winch truck called for. It
was lunch time anyway. The winch managed to lift all 6 barrels out
before it needed another rest. John Schneider showed up about the time
the hauling was completed. All the others took their leave and John
and I filled 2-1/2 more barrels and unearthed a few more rocks in the
doing it, calling it quits at 3 o'clock. The barrels did not get
hoisted, however. We'll try to get that done this week, along with
some rocks.
    The next dig is scheduled for the 23rd December but I probably
won't be there. Anybody wanting to go fill the barrels is welcomed to.
Be careful to not dig the supports out from under any overhead
rocks--please. After that, if my calculations are correct, 6 January
will be our next opportunity.
    Totals were: 8-1/2 barrels filled and about 8 rocks hoisted.

Those Present were:                           A contingent of
Gluesenkamps showed
Don Broussard                                    up and distracted the
winch operator.
Gill Ediger                                           Ruby, Jack, & Andy
Ernie Garza
John Kemner (Don's friend)
Terry Raines
Ron Rutherford
John Schneider
Rick Toms (Don's friend)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Actually, I haven't seen it. But if anyone has recently, can he answer Dave's question? -- Mixon

Begin forwarded message:

From: "DAVID WHITACRE" <david.whita...@boiseschools.org>
Date: December 11, 2012 11:07:51 AM CST
To: <bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Question about swifts at El Aguacero, Chiapas

Hi Bill,
I wonder if you know who could answer this question for me:

I studied the mexican cave-dwelling swifts for my dissertation (at Golondrinas, etc.), and one of my main study colonies was at the popular tourist attraction El Aguacero, near Ocozocuatla, Chiapas. You've probably been there--it's a waterfall along the Rio La Venta.

My question is whether there is still a swift colony there. I've pulled up a lot of photos of El Aguacero from the web, and none of them show any swifts flying around, and I don't get any web hits searching on the appropriate wording either.

Any clues as to who has been there recently would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Dave Whitacre

A chicken is the egg's way of making another egg.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Interesting article.  Finding Geomyces destructans was discovering the
bullet.  This may be the gun.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/research-on-stricken-bats-may-help-aids-fight/2012/12/09/8cc93ab8-38cc-11e2-b01f-5f55b193f58f_story.html

Josh

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Cavers,

Our next scheduled second Wednesday work session of the Texas Speleological
Survey will be on December 12, tomorrow night, at the JJ Pickle Research
Center. We will look for the Airman's Cave map and help TCMA with research
on one of its preserves. Come out and help.

Use the front entrance on Burnet Road north of highway 183. Both publication
sales and the library will be open. The door will be open at 5:00 p.m. and
stay open till we adjourn. Remember it is best to arrive before 6:00 pm and
drinks are on me.

You may also search the files for your favorite caves. If you have a desire
to see the files and unpublished maps, come by and take a look. If you have
questions, please contact me at  <mailto:ronra...@austin.rr.com>
ronra...@austin.rr.com or call my cell. I will be happy to send you a link
to the map of the Campus if you need directions.

Ron Ralph

Cell: 797-3817

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- That news item is a typical attempt by a scientist to attach his pet project to some other popular and hopefully well-funded goal. (You've no doubt noticed that every other biological discovery is a possible cure for cancer.) AIDS deaths are not caused by the immune system going berserk, but by its eventually being destroyed by the HIV. Some diseases are made worse by immune-overreaction, though. Is it even true that deaths from WNS are caused by "immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome"? The description in the news item doesn't sound much like what is actually observed, but then press releases are usually written by some publicist who doesn't know anything about the subject. -- Mixon
A chicken is the egg's way of making another egg.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

The Mysteries of Easter Island Caves

Join us for a Webinar on January 10

[http://img.gotomeeting.com/g2mimages/webinar/themes/basic/button_registerNow.gif]<https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/353722487>

 Space is limited Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/353722487

This presentation will discuss our current findings, interpretations, and
future directions for cave research and conservation on “Te Pito o Te Henua”
(or Navel of the World).
Our efforts represent the first study to investigate both the biology and
archaeology of Rapanui caves.
The natural and cultural history of caves has received little attention on
Easter Island (known to Polynesians as “Rapa Nui”).  Given the long history of
forest conversion and other intensive human uses, the current landscape is
vastly different from what the first Polynesian settlers observed upon arrival
circa 1200 CE.

Today, less than four percent of the over 400 known arthropod species are
either endemic or colonized the island without man’s assistance; however, our
recent discoveries of several new arthropod species suggest some of these
organisms may be relicts of ancient native ecosystems.  Although early
explorers and missionaries encouraged the Rapanui people to search for and
remove artifacts from their caves (many are curated in Museo Antropológico
Padre Sebastián Englert), vestiges of extensive human use prior to European
contact remain. Our efforts represent the first study to investigate both the
biology and archaeology of Rapanui caves.

Title:

The Mysteries of Easter Island Caves

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Time:

8:00 PM - 9:30 PM CST (Which is 9PM EST/ 7PM MST/ 6PM PST) Please check your
time zone

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information
about joining the Webinar.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server

Mac®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer

Mobile attendees
Required: iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ phone or Android tablet

--- End Message ---