texascavers Digest 28 Dec 2012 10:56:17 -0000 Issue 1686

Topics (messages 21190 through 21193):

For those living in Austin, TX and the greater area....
        21190 by: Julia Germany

TopoMaps app for the iPhone and iPad
        21191 by: Julia Germany
        21192 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

Something Good You Did. . .  and You Probably Didn?t Know It.
        21193 by: NSS Announcements

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---

Subject: New Dial area code + phone number

FYI on calling in the 512 area code:

To ensure a continuing supply of phone numbers, an area code overlay has been
approved for the Texas 512 area code.

An overlay is the addition of another area code (737) to the same geographic
region as an existing area code (512). An overlay doesn’t require you to change
your existing area code, but it does require you to dialthe area code + phone
number for all calls, including local calls within the same area code. The 512
area code generally covers the greater Austin area, principally in the counties
of Bastrop, Burnet, Caldwell, Hays, Lampasas, Milam, Travis and Williamson.
When will the dialing change begin for the 512 / 737 Area Code Overlay?
December 1, 2012: Begin including the area code whenever you place a call from
the 512 area code. During this initial stage, if you forget and dial just seven
digits, your call will still be completed.

June 1, 2013: You must include the area code for all calls. After this date, if
you don’t included the area code, your calls won’t complete and a recording
will instruct you to hang up and dial again.

July 1, 2013: New phone lines or services may be assigned numbers using the new
737 area code.
For more information about this change, visit
http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless%20Issues/area-code-overlay-512.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Many thanks to James Jasek for turning me on to the TopoMaps app for the iPhone
(read his post on FB, one of the caving sites).

It TOTALLY rocks, and well worth the $8.

Christmas present to myself!

Happy Holidays!
julia

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Why don't you post that info for those of us who don't do Face Book.

Dirtdoc

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello everyone,

The URL link below is just one example of some of truly powerful things we can do as an organization--at virtually no cost--with our new NSS Headquarters Facility.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/12/santa_visits_seniors_hands_out.html

Over the past couple of years there has been much discussion regarding the pros and cons of acquiring such a facility, but this is clearly an example of one of the good things we can do. And without a doubt, when we do good in the community, we reap the benefits as an organization. As a Grotto Chairman, I have witnessed this personally in my own community. Who knows when, by doing good in something that has virtually nothing to do with caving, a landowner or someone with influence sees what we're doing and decides to help our cause?

Put simply, we will win when the community wins; And we will win in ways we could have never anticipated. But we still need your help and support to see this through. Please consider donating to the NSS HQ Fund before the end of 2012 and the tax laws change. And PLEASE consider having your local Grotto or I/O working together to support your HQ.

Thank you, again, for your support!

-Dean

Dean Wiseman
NSS#32690 RL, Director